Video: Cingular “Hanging on the Telephone” Commercial

A man get a sweet peck from a beautiful girl, then waits in agony for days for her call, set to a forlorn cover of The Nerves’ “Hanging on the Telephone” by Cat Power. In the background the now defunct Cingular things-as-bars campaign is displayed almost subliminally.

I’ll cop to being perhaps more sappy about this commercial than most—”Hanging on the Telephone” is one of my favorite songs—but there’s something genuine about his obsession, despite the well-trodden subject matter, that gets me every time. To add to the sense of longing, the Cat Power cover was never released, as is rumored to have only been recorded in snippets for the commercial.

Of course, the stupid voiceover spoils it, but it’s nice while it lasts. (And no, there’s no reason I’m putting this up besides the fact that I think it is a notably competent ad.)

Bonus video: After the jump, The Nerves’ original version.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Video: Cingular “Hanging on the Telephone” Commercial

Just wanted to point out that song was done originally by Blondie in 1977.

• Joel Johnson says:

Mwa ha ha, Anonymous, you have fallen into my hipper-than-thou trap! The Blondie version was, in fact, also a cover of the original song by The Nerves. (And, of course, the one I was first familiar with just like 99% of the world.)

I can’t get the Nerves version out of my head now. Such a good one.

Funny but the Cingular commercial reminded me of ANOTHER VW commercial, Bubble Boy (one of my all time faves):

i dont care who did this song originally or who wrote it – it is the performance that matters, and no one has or ever will perform ‘hangin’ with more guts than miss deborah harry and BLONDIE. the end. get their second album ‘parralel lines’ and listen for yourself. btw many other good rockin on same disc. see also their first LP ‘plastic letters’.
    steve-o

The Nerves’ video that I put up and your using is by far thee version of the song. The End.

5. schmod says:

The VW wedding commercial also goes down as being one of my favorite ads.

http://www.dvlabs.com/ has a beautiful high-res version of it.

If all ads were like these, I wouldn’t need my TiVo :-)

I stand corrected. Should’ve googled better. I will now go out and buy a Nerves cd and give them a listen.

ive always liked the vw wedding commercial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXOrbo6DX9U