Cabinet Jack: Multi-Tool for Cabinet Makers

CabJack_TM.jpg

Toolmonger‘s got it right about this “Cabinet Jack”:

It’s refreshing to see a multi-tool that doesn’t try to be all things to all people.  Instead, the Cabinet Jack focuses specifically on cabinet making needs, assisting in tasks like cleaning up hinge mortises and ease edges.

I have a hard time sanding wood, let alone working it, but I get a kick out of seeing these sort of specialized tools.

A Multi-Tool For Cabinet Makers [Toolmonger]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Cabinet Jack: Multi-Tool for Cabinet Makers

1. Joel Johnson says:

You may have a point, but I have one, too: Not needing a tool has never stopped me from owning it. :)

2. Dug North says:

Poster #1 does make a good point.

This could be a nice addition to a travel/job site/install toolkit where you wouldn’t typically have all of the specialized tools with you. This seems like a small market, but hey…I want one.

-Dug North

3. stevew says:

Poster #1 wins!
    No way anyone installing cabinets for a living would use this tool. They’d have single purpose tools that do one thing well. Yes, you can dress out a deer and fix your carburetor with a Swiss Army knife. You just can’t find a mechanic or a butcher that does it with one. I had a display cabinet shop 30 years ago and most all of the tools plugged in to outlets and said Delta on them. There are many carpenters who have built works of art. They start with giant power tools and finsh things by hand. Check out these two names – East coast, George Nakashima; West coast Sam Maloof. Their works are in museums and galleries, presidents and vice presidents own their work (that’s US Presidents).

4. AustinTraveler says:

The lead for this looked pretty interesting, but after looking at this tool I had to guffaw. I do fine woodwork for a living and this gadget will never be found in my possession. I think this would be the perfect gift for the woodworking poseur.

I love this tool! I built my whole custom kitchen with this tool and then went on to remodel my whole house with it. I most recently opened up a new homes division and issued this tool to all my carps,… needless to say it cut down the project time to nearly 90%. I also plan on retooling all of my production cabinet shop with this tool and spoons. Awsome tool!!!!!

I have trouble believing that wood workers would actually use this. To begin with, cutting a mortise requires serious tools (either a router, a very specialized plane, and/or some sharp chisels). So why would the cabinet maker put down his specialized, expensive, well cared for wood working tools and pull out an inferior tool to “clean up” afterwards?

Wood workers love their tools, don’t get me wrong, but that is exactly why a professional (or even serious amateur) would never use something like this.