Confirmation: No Bluetooth in iPod Touch

no_bt_ipodtouch.jpg

An Apple spokesperson has confirmed to Boing Boing Gadgets that the upcoming iPod Touch does not include Bluetooth, despite rumors to the contrary today. An image had made the rounds earlier today—the corner with the purported Bluetooth icon in the corner is reproduced here—but Apple has said it is not an official image.

While there wouldn’t have been much use for monophonic Bluetooth headsets in the iPod Touch, the lack of Bluetooth precludes the possibility of wireless Bluetooth stereo headsets or microphones that could be used with a future third-party VoIP application.

Update: Some eagle-eyed readers have pointed out that there are Bluetooth icons on images on the Apple.com pages. (See this post’s comments.) Since Apple roundly denies there is Bluetooth in the Touch, I think we can chalk it up to a Photoshop blunder. (Once they hit the street and someone tears it apart, we’ll know for certain if there’s Bluetooth hardware in there or not.)

This entry was posted in apple, touch and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Confirmation: No Bluetooth in iPod Touch

“That isn’t a Bluetooth symbol on the box in the lower right corner of the Web page linked in #13. ”

They changed the pictures in the gallery – yesterday it was the picture with a very clear bluetooth symbol.

That sucks. It seems as though they thought of everything to put on this phone except the one feature that everyone seems to jumping on (bluetooth). I guess it’s not so bad, as long as i can still use peekamo.

Haha, I bet y’all feel stupid now. The iPod Touch Software Update 3.0 includes Bluetooth support. The Touch had Bluetooth all along, it was just locked up, awaiting Apple’s key. Now wireless headphones are a possibility, and even peer-to-peer apps. I’m excited, personally.

4. boomer0127 says:

I shelled out the cash for the Bluetooth headset with the unfortunate name “iMuffs”. Let me tell you these things rock. A tad expensive, but what sets them apart from the other bluetooth headsets is the phone functionality. The headset ALSO syncs with your cell phone, so while you are rocking out wirelessly and you get a call on your bluetooth phone, the music pauses and you answer the call (built-in mic on the headset). After the call is over, the iPod kicks back in right where you left off. It is really great tech. Comfort of the headset could be better, but I never miss a call and NO MORE WIRES! I replaced the battery in my 4G iPod and I get about 6 hours of usage with the bluetooth headset (14 hours with wired earbuds). Look ‘em up, just google iMuffs.

5. Eustace Tilley says:

One great reason for Bluetooth would be to allow the user to access the internet through a GPRS connection is his existing cellphone. For example, T-Mobile users with Bluetooth phones would be able to use them as modems in the absence of WiFi such as aboard a commuter train.

6. Quasilaur says:

How ridiculously peachy-keen to see you on BoingBoing, Lev.

Thanks for keeping the Bluetooth sitch updated. That was my first annoyance when I saw the iPod Touch, because VoIP seems like the necessary next progression. I think I may hold out for that one, because I’m more jazzed about that than an iPhone.

Likely for irrational reasons.

It’s definitely a mistake by the desinger of the box, I guess at one (very late) point in the design process bluetooth was included and they simply forgot to remove the icon from the box.

Next time they better hire an Apple Fan Boy to search for “hidden features” in their pictures ;)

8. Solomon Ford says:

It looks like the Apple website has been sanitized, because all of the images at those links above no longer show a Bluetooth icon.

The answer is simple. They used an IPhone to get the graphics ready, and that’s why there is a bluetooth icon. They probably didn’t have a unit ready in time and just used an iPhone running somekind of iPod version of the software. And as for those who wonder why you would want bluetooth on an iPod with a web browser….the dial up networking profile. With DUN you can use it with a nice EVDO phone and have a great internet experience everywhere.

I can’t believe the iPod Touch doesn’t have bluetooth!

For those of us that live in countries with high-speed 3G networks the addition of bluetooth would’ve allowed me to browse the internet using my 3G phone as a modem as I do with my laptop.

Damn-it… maybe they didn’t want to upset AT&T while allowing people to connect via Bluetooth to their cell phone for internet browsing.

11. Solomon Ford says:

In response to post #13 by Anonymous: They’re talking about the iPod touch, not the iPhone. The iPHONE has Bluetooth, which is expected from a current-era wireless communications device. The iPOD does not have Bluetooth, which is expected from what is mostly a *music player*. :)

12. Tubman says:

@#25: Are you aware that if you don’t like Bluetooth wasting your battery, you can switch it off?

On a slight tangent, it might interest you to know that no link between a reluctance to wear wired earphones in the gym and low intelligence has ever been demonstrated, whereas the positive correlation between an inability to form coherent sentences and stupidity is pretty much an axiom of modern psychometry.

13. Tubman says:

@Solomon Ford: Strictly speaking, we don’t know for sure whether the Touch is simply lacking a BT stack or whether it’s lacking the hardware.

There has to be a way to get Skype on this thing. The iVOIP. Bluetooth would be a good start at getting phone functions in this.

Well I would have liked bluetooth for GPS usage. As it stands I’ll stick with my 7 year old Panasonic 4GB SD MP3 player (although they haven’t updated the sync software since release).

Are we not going back to PDAs here folks? Funny how Micrsoft blundered the PDA with their crappy OS an awful active-suck software. Now apple seems to be headed in the right direction.

When will companies figure out that you should stop trying to lock everything down and just make all apps and hardware open.

We need wifi, bluetooth, memory card slot, usb, battery life, touch/writable screen, apps that stop hindering from easy conversions of other formats.

That isn’t a Bluetooth symbol on the box in the lower right corner of the Web page linked in #13. It is the Play button (small sideways triangle) as seen in the front shot of the product in the photo gallery.

Why is it so hard for douchebag jocks to stop assuming stuff about ppl who think Bluetooth is a waste of battery life? Ppl have been jogging for AGES w/ wires coming out their ears, and frankly if u can’t lift WEIGHTS with headfones, ur a farckin moron!

19. Joe says:

I’m hoping for bluetooth just for a wireless remote. I’m a picky listener and the wired remote makes the cables a little ridiculous.

20. drumstyx says:

@ #30
    Not so much that they feel stupid, just that apple lied to us…which isn’t cool

21. Greg says:

When you compare the image of “ipod touch with bluetooth” with the iphone, it is bluetooth. However, I’m curous: why would Apple say its a photoshop blunder and put it on their website? I’m wondering if the Qualcomm v Broadcomm dispute might have something to do with bluetooth.

If you notice on the video, the 8GB ipod touch when syncing only has 7.08GB of memory, this is obviously nothing new, but still disappointing.

Why is it so hard for so many to understand that many people long for bluetooth in their ipod. Anybody who has ever used an ipod while doing any sort of sporting activity such as weighlifting or jogging will surely understand the desire to be wire free. I understand if you sit all day on the couch eating a bowl of frito’s waiting for Halo 3 to come out, this may not be necessary.

And as far as battery drain with Bluetooth is concerned, not all of us live life with an ipod attached to our body 24/7. Personally, I will use it in the gym for 1 hour, then drive to work with it plugged into my car charger. I never have a battery issue.

@Solomon Ford: Hi, Sol!

I use my nano mostly for listening to music while I jog. The new video version of the nano is cool for people who care to watch a tiny screen, but I won’t upgrade until someone comes out with one that doesn’t involve tangly wires bouncing from my ears while I run.

Why would you use bluetooth headphones anyways?
    It would simply increase battery usage, in the very best case. Also, a decent pair of wireless headphones is cheap.

The iPod Touch isn’t like a cellphone, where the manufacturer could charge you an arm and a leg for a headset because they didn’t use standard interfaces; nor can it give you internet access. Can anyone care to explain the excitement over bluetooth on an iPod?

27. Jeremy Hill says:

If you go to the iPod touch page in Apple’s online store, the same ‘unofficial’ image is on the page in the lower right corner. Not saying this is proof there’s bluetooth, just that I doubt it’s an unofficial image, rather a mistake in the mockup.

Take a look at these “official” images and look at the WiFi section. There is a photo with a Bluetooth icon.

Hrmmm.

you guys sure that is a bluetooth sign, because i really think, looking at my ipod touch box (the box the ipod came in) with lennon legend on the front, thats a play icon, as in the music is playing. i seriously doubt it has bluetooth, becasue it sould only be used for music and all the crap….. :?

indeed, but I’m still trying to set up the bluetooth-phone internet connnection…