Cocoon Tent Concept by John Moriarty

cocoon_des.jpg

The “Cocoon” outdoor emergency shelter was described by my online acquaintance “jinx” as being, “a pinata for bears.” I bet it would be hell on your knees.

Design/Portfolio Page [Coroflot via Oh Gizmo! via ElectroPlankton via PreSurfer via Dump Trumpet via Reuben Miller via CubeMe via Yanko Design]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Cocoon Tent Concept by John Moriarty

Death Trap.

anywhere you have a tree that could support this thing, you can mount your tent at the base of the tree. The trunk can support and protect the tent against wind.

Hypothermia? they teach people to dig holes in the snow to stay warm. Being in the air or on the ground makes no difference as long as that thing you’re in is insulated and retains heat.

like bears, wild cats, snakes climb trees too.

I’m not sure what outdoor emergency can one survive with this.

i don’t get how people come up with some of these concepts. like that toaster that toasts messages on to bread, this thing has no utility at all. The first test of a new concept should be if the thing serves any purpose that’s not being met by what’s currently on the market. A post-it is much more handy than a toast with a burned on message. A tent is more useful and safer than this cocoon. Forget bears hitting you like a pinata; how about the tree limb breaking? or just falling trying to get into the damn thing.

I want to know how to get a job coming up with these useless ideas. I imagine it’ll be pretty easy to randomly remix existing ideas and coming up with a nonsensical one. I guess there’re markets for everything. Just look at all the spinning rims sold to pimp rides.

3. Xeni Jardin says:

@Anonymous #7, two words: BALL WEIGHTS.

4. Teresa Nielsen Hayden/Moderator says:

But imagine you get caught in prolonged heavy rain, can’t hike or drive out because all the routes are flooded, and there’s no ground where a conventional tent will be stable and dry. This thing could save you from hypothermia. It’d also be nice in snake-infested environments.

5. L. M. Lloyd says:

It seems like it would be cold, what with the wind blowing around you and all, and perhaps might even hurt you, if the wind was blowing hard enough to swing you into the trunk, or break the branch. This looks like it would be good ‘emergency shelter’ for a warm beach somewhere in calm whether, but then why do you need shelter in conditions like that?

6. A New Challenger says:

I’m so immature. The first thing I thought of was two people getting lost together and shacking up next to each other on the same branch.

7. Symphonix says:

And when there are no trees around?

Who wants to sleep in a giant scrotum?

In all honesty, I think your knees would be fine. Your back, on the other hand…this thing looks to be about as much fun to sleep in as an airport chair.

9. bricology says:

Typical gee-whiz product design — far more about creating sizzle than actually functioning. I’m sure most of us had hare-brained ideas like this when we were teens, but leave it to the media enablers of today to allow such things to be presented as products before they’ve even made a feasibility study. Ugh. Design isn’t (or shouldn’t be) about a cool blob-oid form in search of a use.

10. Radio Tirana says:

Incredibly comfortable! I’ll rid of my bed and sleep in that thing like there was no tomorrow.

Seriously. This is one of these times I wish some inventor tries their own contraption.

Don’t think evil of me. I wish cramps and numbness won’t prevent them getting the hell out of it first thing next morning.

It’s funny when ivory tower designers come up with a crippled, dysfunctional version of a usable real-life object that’s been manufactured for years and is used every day by actual campers all over the world — and somehow manage to get massive publicity anyway.

Here’s the real thing. You can buy one.

Pstr #2 chs my wn thghts, n’s mnd cnnt hlp cnnctng ths mg wth BngBng’s xtnsv cvrg f Krl Rv’s stpdd’s gntl prcngs.