Toy Octopus Encourages Beach Clean Up

octopus_pet3.jpg

This toy octopus concept from Jaehyung Hong is designed to make cleaning up the beach a playful activity for kids. Once all eight orifices are filled with plastic bottles, the octopus will float.

(I presume there are two more slots on the bottom, or the designer just didn’t want to call it a hexopod. Or a sectopod, despite the esteemed history of the term.)

Help An Octopus Find His Legs [Yanko Design]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Toy Octopus Encourages Beach Clean Up

Looks like a Woodring creature.

Even if that thing worked perfectly, wouldn’t there be a awful lot of bottle caps still littering the beaches?

I say just bring back bottle deposits. Kids and bums needing $ will do the work.

Gee, pollute the beach or pollute the sea, what a great choice. Err, I guess this falls into the NIMBY category (Not In My Backyard), or is that the Out Of Sight, Out of Mind category, I always get them confused.

4. A New Challenger says:

@Joel:

I almost put at the end of my comment, but felt that HTMLOL is a bit overplayed at this point. I liked the idea until 3 seconds into thinking about it the cynic in me put 2 and 2 together, and I couldn’t resist the idea of instant disappointment/irony/comedy via a strong, sudden current.

5. Stefan Jones says:

That’s not a beach clean up facilitator . . . it’s an alien sex toy!

“Snoff-QUAN! The plain green-wrapped package has arrived! Assemble the clan and let us have an eight-way!”

” #4 posted by Joel Johnson Author Profile Page, September 12, 2007 5:02 PM:

Well, I don’t think the idea is to set the octopus out to sea, but to make the act of picking up trash fun.”

Well, it may not be intended for floating out to sea but the reality is that it’s geared towards kids, it floats, if you get the right number of bottles, and there is a big body of water right next to you. I think it will end up in/on the sea.

Gee, does it hold dirty medical waste too?

seems like there would be a health-issue with giving little timmy one of these and having him go play with all the dirty bottles on the beach…

Wouldn’t a society raised with the proper level of awareness trump this? WHY do we have to make but another piece o’ plastic crap to encourage a function that ought to be unconscious (throwing yr’ shit where it belongs)? Not to mention how soccer moms will likely find the whole concept icky and gross. One, maybe two uses and little Timmy will likely let it join the bottles on the beach.

When I lived on Corfu (early 90’s) everyday as I walked down the beach to town I would tie empty water bottles together with fishing line I also found on the beach. By the time I would get to the market I usually had at least 20 bottles and many times over 40. I am sure the “tourists” thought I was crazy. String them together in many strange designs was a my fun. Oh well, did my part for one summer ;) Oh, no octopus required LOL.

11. tommy @ dodoskido.com says:

interesting idea…as long as the kids don’t get too into it and ask their parents to BUY MORE PLASTIC WATER BOTTLES from costco or something.

12. Tee says:

I fall into the “soccer mom” category mentioned in #6 and my first reaction was exactly as surmised. “Icky” is the word of the day.

I’ve taught my children to carefully pick up trash at parks, beaches, etc., whenever they see it, and to dispose of it. (And then to use an antibacterial hand wash, of course.)

I have yet to encourage them to play with the trash they find though. Gross.

13. A New Challenger says:

The octopus will float… out to sea. I guess it was going to happen anyway, might as well make it fun.

14. Teresa Nielsen Hayden/Moderator says:

Anonymous #6: “Wouldn’t a society raised with the proper level of awareness trump this? WHY do we have to make but another piece o’ plastic crap to encourage a function that ought to be unconscious (throwing yr’ shit where it belongs)?”

Because that’s a counsel of perfection. All sorts of devices would be unnecessary in a society “raised with the proper level of awareness,” but we’re human and fallible, and our society is too. Surely we can try out interim solutions that remind us to do what perfect awareness would have us automatically do?