Lemon Squeezer Screw

lemonscrew.jpg

I remain doubtful of the efficiency of this stainless steel screw twist lemon juicer, but it certainly looks neat. I’d worry that I wouldn’t be able to get enough juice out when I needed it, while still dealing with a constant slow drip.

Of course I will remain an idle wonderer about such matters, because it sells for a ridiculous $40. Do you know how many lemons you could buy for forty bucks? All of them.

More than one way to juice a lemon [Crave.CNET.com]

7 Responses to Lemon Squeezer Screw

1. Teresa Nielsen Hayden/Moderator says:

Give me a squeezer with a long-handled lever any day. I’m a citrus junkie, and that (admittedly cool-looking) spiral juicer is not going to do a thorough job.

Ask me sometime about tools for grating citrus peel. Or citrus peelers. Or …

2. Tubman says:

Isn’t this just a metal version of the gizmo that’s been bundled for free since the dawn of time with the Miracle Blade home dismemberment kit?

Agree with previous poster. It’s a metal version of the affordable plastic one (which also comes with a snap close lid- very handy). My mother came to visit recently and scoffed when I handed it to her. After using it however, she now wants to buy one. I wouldn’t bother with this metal version, but don’t knock the method… it actually works.

These things actually work really well. I use something like it for iced tea. That said, the one i have is plastic and cost 4 bucks. The trick with these things is to first roll the lemon around on the table like you’re kneading dough. This breaks up all the segments in the lemon and lets the juices flow inside. Then when you stick this thing in lots of juice comes squirting out. I saw the metal one at the MoMA store for $40. My local housewares place still has plenty left for $4 in yellow or green plastic.

I’m informed that with all citrus fruit that if you zap it in the microwave oven first for around 10-20 seconds – you’ll get more juice…

~N.

$40 is dangerously close to the cost of an Orange-X bought off eBay. The Orange-X is a god among citrus juicers and a single (firm) lever press extracts almost every last drop of yum. Regularly $150, though, so eBay has to be trolled for a while to get an awesome deal. I paid close to list for mine but got one for my brother at about $50.

Amazon:

I *heart* my OrangeX. I only use it once a week or so, but it’s still entirely worth the counter space it takes up.

7. pork musket says:

Squeeze me baby, till the juice runs down my leg. The way you squeeze my lemon, I’m gonna fall right out of bed.