Aptera Three-Wheeled Electric Car May Reach Production

aptera1.jpg

The design of the upcoming Aptera car will provoke binary reactions—I for one think it’s lovely. And unlike a lot of crazy electric cars, chances are decent that the Aptera will be produced. You can reserve one now for a fully-refundable $500 that goes towards the purchase price, which varies depending on your choice of all-electric or gas/electric hybrid, but still remains under $30k.

aptera3.jpg

I want one badly, coupled with a natty suit and a tour through the leaf-strewn roads of New England. (And yes, this would be the post where you guys thrash me for wanting to buy something wholly new and wildly unnecessary since I live in New York and don’t need a car. But look at her. Space egg calls to me.)

Aptera Electric/Hybrid Car On Pre-Order for $500 [Oh!Gizmo]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Aptera Three-Wheeled Electric Car May Reach Production

1. Mister N says:

It is beautiful. Although I wonder about how stable it is with 3 wheels.

Would it be a good option to drive during Winter?

I saw some videos of it and another three wheeled vehicle and it was very impressive. No tipping problem. I’m thinking about putting the 500.00 up. I’m not too confident that it will actually go into production though.

3. Brouhaha says:

“Morkmobile?”

No way… that’s totally the car from Woody Allen’s Sleeper (1973)

I love it!

5. Joel Johnson says:

I would also have accepted “Morkmobile.”

Aptera has released an update on it’s upcoming 300 Mpg car. This car really approaches transportation from a very different vantage than does the rest of the auto industry. This car is slated to sell for $30,000 USD, and offers room for two. Here is a brief overview on the update …

Talkback: http://dataland.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/apteras-sub-30k-300-mpg-car-will-be-here-in-2009/

7. Nicholas Weaver says:

The wide stance helps, but with such a wide front, why not just have 4 wheels?

8. BubbaTech says:

“Unless it leans, or it has a LOT of battery mass up near the nose and down low, it might be a bit roll-happy.”

“The wide stance helps, but with such a wide front, why not just have 4 wheels?”

“Three wheels vehicles don’t have a good track record. Don’t think they even sell 3-wheel ATVs any more because they are too tippy. Trikes are ok at low speed, or for aircraft landing gear, but I wouldn’t send off my 500 dollars until I drove one.”

The comments Above are from Uneducated people. there have been three wheel cars around for 50 years, and why not 4 wheels, it is more economical to drive three instead of 4, no differential, makes it more efficient, and previous designs that were bought by Harley-Davidson, the TriHawk did 1 G on the skid pad, rollover huh?? that is if the single wheel is in the front, unless you plan on taking this thing on the road up to top speed backwards, I think you will be fine.

check out this writeup about it.

if any of these designs are close to theirs, I’m IN!!!