Wi-Fi Detecting Light-Up T-Shirt

wifishirt.jpg

Just when I was about to finally remove all the ultra-nerdy t-shirts from my wardrobe—no cartoon characters; no slogans—Thinkgeek cooks up this “Wi-Fi Detector Shirt,” which actually displays the signal from 802.11b/g with glowing bars on the front. It’s only $30, but I don’t think I could ever wear it in public.

I’m asking too much, I know, but how awesome would it be if it had an extra signifier for open networks?

Product Page [Thinkgeek.com via Gizmodo]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Wi-Fi Detecting Light-Up T-Shirt

1. Drew from Zhrodague says:

I wonder how long it will be until there are thread-embedded GPS devices. I’d love to scan wireless networks everywhere I go. Carying a brick and bag of wires got a little old!

2. tresser says:

Oh great…it’s as if ThinkGeek wants you to get arrested in Boston.

3. Dillenger69 says:

Hoax device!

4. Brian Carnell says:

Yeah, don’t wear this to the airport if you don’t want to get shot!

5. joelanders says:

If these are like the “equalizer” beat sensitive shirts, the light up part is a hard, thick, square of plastic.

All coolness is lost right there.

Oooh, how could this shirt be healthy?

7. cautionyou says:

Mod Converter can convert the .mod files recorded by most popular digital camcorders.

8. Kevin says:

Great, so now everybody but the geek wearing the shirt will know what the local signal strength is. Might as well put the display on the back of the shirt, it’d be just as useless to me.

There are keychain sized 802.11b hotspot scanners which show the SSID and open/closed status, so it’s not that much of a stretch to think such a feature could be added to the next generation of this shirt.

sound like hack time to meee

10. pork musket says:

They should make IT employees at convention centers, hotels, and other places with WiFi wear these so they can find the deadspots and fix them.