Black & Decker Auto Wrench

bdautowrecnh.jpg

This Black & Decker “Auto Wrench,” a self-adjusting monkey crescent wrench that automatically sizes itself to the bolt you’re on, has been around for a while, but I’d forgotten about it and thought perhaps y’all might have, too. And bonus: it’s been out long enough to garner some user reviews, which are almost universally positive. You can get it at Amazon for $29. Two AA batteries will power the clamping jaws for about 650 cycles.

Catalog Page [Amazon via Coolest-Gadgets]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Black & Decker Auto Wrench

1. strider_mt2k says:

So what are “Dykes”??

Don’t answer that.

Andrew was close… the proper name is “adjustable open end wrench” (not Crescent as was noted).

An for the question of “Dykes” … the proper name for the tool is “diagonal cutting pliers”.

3. Jake von Slatt says:

Crescent, not monkey.

Andrew is right, this is not a Crescent wrench. It is not made by Crescent(brand of Cooper Hand Tools). It is an adjustable wrench.
    (just as not all photocopiers are Xerox, and not all facial tissues are Kleenex)

Crescent does make a better wrench, (as noted by another “anonymous”) called the Crescent RapidSlide Adjustable wrench. (comes in 8″ and 10″ versions)

It doesn’t take batteries, but uses an easy slide mechanism to turn the internal screw. It is also less expensive, at $15.99 at amazon.com for the 8 inch version. http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-AC8NKWMP-8-Inch-Adjustable-Wrench/dp/B000EOJUI0

the guys at toolmonger.com reviewed this, used it right up to the breaking point.

very good review.

6. Andrew Neesley says:

I’ve got one. It’s not the greatest. Battery life isn’t that great and it’s not put together all that well…

7. David B. says:

Is it any wonder that sooooo many Americans are obese?

Thumb muscles tiring… must hold on…

David B.

Don’t waste your money on this wrench. First of all your adding batteries to the tool life cost, and once the tiny little rubber belt breaks inside its just clunky. It should have been made with a worm gear, but now I will try to remove the shaft and replace the belt with a O-Ring. Buy a Crescent or Craftsman at this price.

Why does everything in the everyday life needs to be battery-powered? I’m not a hippy, far from it, but seriously, if you don’t find any pleasure in adjusting tools when you’re working on a project, maybe it’s time for you to abandon activities that require you use your hands.

I don’t care what it is called…I want to know how it works! My husband is a diehard hotrod guy and I thought this would be a good addition to his toolbox…am I wrong?

In November Black & Decker is introducing its new VPX Interchangeable Li-Ion Battery System of power tools and home products?

Interested in receiving a few of the products to test? Email me at David.Olsen@bdk.com and I’ll email you a press release.

12. Andrew says:

Actually, ‘adjustable’ not Crescent or Monkey.

Crescent is a brand of tools – Crescent

And as long as I’m here
    Vice Grip is a brand of locking pliers
    Channellock is a brand of tongue and groove pliers

Seemed like a stupid idea to me when I first saw it. No thanks, I’d rather not use batteries (along with the persistent waste stream issues) on a hand tool. How about the Irwin Vice-Grip quick adjusting wrench or the Crescent RapidSlide adjusting wrench. I have not used either product since my old tyme thumb wheel adjusting wrenches still work fine.