Hose-Powered Magnetic CD Turbine with Sawblade

I don’t entirely understand the mechanics behind “Mr. Fix It” Rick’s “Magnetic Tesla CD Turbine,” but it’s clear that it’s a cheap way to reuse CDs to make a crazy whirring spinning thing. (So much so that he can spin it fast enough to shred the discs, although you certainly wouldn’t want to do that without all due safety precautions.)

If you find the above video intriguing, Rick’s got several videos up on YouTube explaining how the system works. The turbine doesn’t always have a Skilsaw blade attached, but that is clearly when it is operating at maximum awesome. (Putting the “rad” in “radial?”)

Rick tells us:

I have more plans in the making for the CD Turbine such as a stacking feature, where two or more CD Turbines can be stacked together, linked magnetically.  Also, a CD Turbine Generator that runs on garden hose pressure (It’s already got rotating magnets…).  I’m also going to hook up an auto alternator to the air version…it should work to charge a battery. I will also be making a similar CD design as a pump (Tesla CD Pump: hand, drill, water or air powered!).

Tesla CD Turbine with Skilsaw Attachment [YouTube]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Hose-Powered Magnetic CD Turbine with Sawblade

1. deejayqueue says:

what a giant let-down. I wanted so badly to see that thing run.

2. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

3. strider_mt2k says:

Super.

What’s it do?

4. MrfixitRick says:

Hi everyone, I’m the inventor of this alarming DIY gadget. There are many videos I have posted in YouTube with different aspects of this cool CD Turbine, including high-speed runs. I’ve taken the second prototype to a couple of thousand rpm on water so far and up to 11,000 rpm so far on limited air pressure.. Using just the CD’s (without the neo magnets), I’ve had it to 14,500 rpm without failure.
    There are many subtle features that take a while to sink in, as is the case for any alien technology. And I won’t mention my new MeatGrinder Attachment quite yet. Check out my latest videos on YouTube under MrfixitRick for more.

5. cayton says:

Filing this under ‘built because it can be built’.

6. MrfixitRick says:

To see the newest Steampunk variation of this machine, in action, actually carving out a pumpkin, check out my new video “Tesla CD Turbine Pumpkin Cuttin’ Ceremony” at my YouTube/ MrfixitRick

World’s first turbine powered circular saw? Have a look around, there are many such devices developed many decades ago in the UK and I dare say even in backwoods USA.

8. MrfixitRick says:

Mark, thanks for the comment, but looking at the CD Turbine Prototype on 120psi air pressure may change your mind. I know it did for me. Check out my YouTube, (MrfixitRick), under ” Running the Tesla CD Turbine with Pumpkincutter Attachment”, to see an unattached Skilsaw blade going way too fast.
    True, on water it is slow, (so far) with 1200 rpm, but still more than fast enough for paper cuts!

9. mark says:

There is no way that this rig will power a saw blade with enough torque to cut anything more than paper. Given that the blade stopped as soon as the water was turned off in the demo I would guess it was spinning at closer to 300 rpm than 10,000.