Ceramic Food Warmer for Steam Radiators

radiator_heater.jpg

The “Natural Wave” is a ceramic plate that sits on a steam radiator, making it easy to keep drinks and muffins warm. And only muffins! It’s not rated for bagels or toast by the National Ornamental Snack and Hotcakes Administration (NOSHA).

It’s also not real, or at least not available for purchase. It’s just a concept by Byung-seok You, but something similar should be easy enough to cook up for yourself should you live in an old building that still has radiators. (Unlike my building which has modern heat that is never actually on.)

Radiators Have Other Uses Too [YankoDesign.com]

This entry was posted in radiators and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Ceramic Food Warmer for Steam Radiators

1. ryangoff says:

I was stationed on a submarine, and as you may have guessed, coffee is a way of life. There was one particular tank that was kept at 120 degrees at all time, no matter what. I realized that if I didn’t finish my coffee on my six hour shift, I could just put my mug down on top of this tank and let it sit there. When coming back 12 hours later, the coffee was at a perfect temperature, and ready to drink. That tank was my best friend on that boat…

2. Crash says:

This product would sell like gangbusters in New York (which is possibly also the only city with boutiques specialized enough to sell it).

3. ps says:

This is fantastic. This is exactly the type of thing I have been looking for.

4. four12 says:

A toilet tank lid would do about the same thing.

5. gretagretchen says:

My husband use to use the radiator to heat tortillas with only a piece of tin foil.

Unfortunately it will not only heat your food, it will also drastically reduce the efficiency of your radiator by blocking the upward air flow through it.

7. Halloween Jack says:

Large ceramic tiles should do the same trick.

8. daev says:

Nice design, I like the look of the ceramic. I think metal would probably be a better choice of material, though. Ceramic is more of an insulator than say, aluminum and more prone to breakage. Ceramic may stay warm longer (and take longer to heat up) but my radiator in the place I used to live would stay on for quite a while on a cold morning before the place was up to habitable temperature and would keep several cups of coffee and Bailey’s warm well through brunch.

9. Rambow says:

Anon, that’s another reason I love the idea — every radiator-heated apartment or dorm room I’ve been in has always had a problem with being way overheated. Many radiators, at least in Space-Age NYC, can only be turned off — they can’t really be turned down.

10. Nora Rocket says:

If only this ceramic plate were a hollow reservoir one could fill with water, with spouts for escaping damp, warm air, to combat the dry radiator heat issue…

11. tomioka says:

My landlord measures the heating use with a decive connected to the radiator. The more fluid evaporates, the more I pay. The easiest way to increase my monthly heating costs is to make sure the heat can’t escape from the radiator.

This sounds like a very stupid idea to me…

12. Xiguli says:

Joel, your brilliant and hilarious writing has been endorsed by the Association for Gratuitous Employment of Acronymic Kineticism (AGEAK).