Soyabella Soy Milk Maker

soyabella-soy-milk-maker-grinder.jpg

The Soyabella carafe is an all-in-one unit that makes it simple to make fresh soymilk at home. You can also make other types of nut milks, such as almond or cashew, or use it to make rice paste, porridge, or even ground coffee. (There is a simple blade grinder inside.)

There is a heating element inside, as well, making it possible to go from raw soy and water to fresh soy milk in about 15 minutes. The Soyabella website refers to “fresh, raw nut milks,” but obviously it won’t be capital-R Raw if it brings the temperature over 98 degrees. Since most of the soy milk recipes I can find seem to indicate a full boil, there will be some loss of enzymes. In the case of soy milk that’s actually a good thing, because those enzymes will otherwise impart a “beany” flavor.

I called my sister, who happens to be a raw food chef*, and she explained that there’s really no way to make soy milk without heat, but that nut milks are basically just ground up nut meat in water, strained to remove any large particles, so while the soy milk produced by the Soyabella isn’t raw, the nut milks may be.

The Soyabella is $130. There is also a competing, if less attractive product called the SoyaJoy available for $90.

Product Page [Soyabella.com via Appliancist]

* Despite my every insistence, she will not sample my homemade cow’s milk, squeezed from a slurry of water and ground beef.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Soyabella Soy Milk Maker

1. ShallyD says:

I have a SoyaJoy for about six months now. I really like it. It can make raw milk without using the heating feature, which is important for me (The Soybella didn’t have this feature). I did a lot of research when I bought it. The SoyaJoy also has UL certification which most of the soy milk makers don’t have. I have since recommended the SoyaJoy to several friends and they all like it. It has the best price because Sanlinx sells online at wholesale price according to its web site.

2. Drew Blood says:

Amazon has the Soyabella for $97.99 but Soyajoy is a pretty well respected product. Thanks for writing about these. Reminded me that I need to get myself an X-mas present!

3. Jeff says:

“It’s not soy milk, it’s soy juice. There are no soy titties. But people don’t call it soy juice, because calling it soy juice makes you throw up in your mouth.” – Lewis Black.

4. Drew Blood says:

If anyone sees this again, the price per GALLON of soymilk using beans from the above link is hovering right around a buck. Where I live that is a $5.50 saving per week!

I ordered a Soyajoy the day this was posted and got it yesterday, and made my first and second batches today. Worked amazingly!

5. Drew Blood says:

I’m ok with soy juice :-)

Anyway I forgot to mention that with the Soyajoy, there are options for both cold and hot processing, so you can indeed create raw nut milks (or soy). Not sure if the nicer looking unit you wrote about has this option or not, though it seems likely.

Soymilk Quick also offers similar products. You can find a number of great soy milk recipes on their site as well.

I have found the results excellent! I have made a few batches of Soy Milk and it is tasty. I mix the Okara with flavored yogurt….what a treat!

8. speedwell says:

I’ve tried both, and I currently own a Soyajoy. It’s better constructed, more reliable, produces consistently better quality soymilk, and maybe the cylinder shape rather than the Soyabella’s dumpy teapot-like shape has something to do with it.

9. steve81kat says:

Sounds like a good idead to buy a soy milk maker.However, i prefer Alprosya milk. It saves me a lot of time and it is exactly the same.

10. darth_schmoo says:

I’ve considered buying something like this, but last time I investigated it, I gave up when I found out that my grocery store didn’t carry soybeans. I probably gave up too soon, but I’m still not sure where to buy smilk fixins.

The SoyQuick (aka SoymilkQuick) is the same product as the SoyaJoy, it is just private labelled for a Canadian company, apparently.

However, if you go to the SoyaJoy site, you can see they have a new product, the SoyaPower. They say it is better, but it costs $40 more ($130 rather than $90 for the SoyaJoy).

this site has tons of info regarding soy stuff

Regarding finding the beans, I found this place recommended on Ellen’s Kitchen, they have soybeans for ~$1/lb in bulk, shipped.

I have no experience with any of this stuff, but my interest was piqued by the post and all your comments. I may be getting myself another xmas gift :)