Recycline Razors Made from Yogurt Cups

blue_razor.jpg

The “Preserve” plastic razors are made from 100% recycled plastics (in the handle), 65% of which is harvested from old Stonyfield Farm yogurt cups. If your local recycler takes #5 plastics you can drop it off there when you’re done with it; otherwise Recycline, the manufacturer, will provide you with a postage-paid mailer with which to return the razor.

A four-pack of razors costs $7.25 from the Preserve store, which isn’t too bad for disposable razors. Better, you can also just buy replacement blades from Preserve. That would obviously be the most conservative tack.

Product Page [Recycline.com via Shaving Stuff]

This entry was posted in hygiene, razors, recycling and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Recycline Razors Made from Yogurt Cups

Ditto. I tried these, they are not good. Gave up after the first shave attempt.. blades are just terrible. shame cause they are so much cheaper than the big brands. :'(

2. jonathanpeterson says:

I’m feeling a lot of cognitive dissonance over a disposable product made from 100% recycled plastic.

Wouldn’t it be preferable to NOT buy disposable razors to begin with?

• Joel Johnson says:

Jonathan, you are correct: it would be most optimal to not buy disposable razors at all. But for some they are preferable, so better these than something else! (Or so if they weren’t so crap, as others have attested.)

3. Nixar says:

Mailing used products has got to be the most inefficient way to deal with waste. It’s just mind-boggingly stupid.

4. Lamnidae says:

I’ve got a toothbrush from these guys and echo the comments that it’s functionally deficient. The head is too small, the forward bend of the handle awkward , and the neck itself is far too flexible. On the other hand, I love the mission. I hope these guys iron out the kinks.

Although the idea of the recycled cartridges is good–why on earth would anyone buy a disposable razor to begin with? Is it that much of a nuisance to swap out a blade? A good razor handle can last you a lifetime–with your only purchase thereafter being the blades…

6. Xenu says:

Would it be possible to recycle the oil on my face into a new razor?

7. knifie_sp00nie says:

You could have almost zero waste and no recycling if you used a straight razor. I switched a year ago and like it much better than any multi-blade razor.

It takes a bit of practice and has a higher up-front cost, but a single blade will last a lifetime. It’s much harder to cut yourself than hollywood portrays.

Having tried these Preserve razors, I have to say I was disappointed. Unlike most modern razors with disposable blades, the blades on the Preserve don’t have a water flow-through space behind the blades. Thus, after only a few swipes they become clogged with hair behind the blade and stop working well. When you try to rinse them with water, the water can’t flow around the blades and through the back, so they remain clogged. I tried folding some paper and running it in between the blades, but that starts dulling them. It may be a simple design flaw but, as I said, disappointing. I hope Preserve either fixes the problem or a better competitor comes to market.

9. Scuba SM says:

Along the same lines as Knifie Spoone, I switched to a double-edge safety razor a while ago. It has a learning curve similar to the single blade razor. One blade for that lasts a week, and can then be discarded/recycled.

Beyond the razor, another way to be slightly greener would be to change your shaving cream. I use a cake soap with a brush. The cake comes in a recyclable cardboard box. That’s it for packaging. Additionally, there are no propellants from a can.

On top of all that, I look forward to my shave every morning!