Video: Mister Rogers Plays Donkey Kong

Sure, Mister Rogers keeps calling Mario a “carpenter,” but let that slide. It’s just nice to know that perhaps the nicest man to ever grace our televisions didn’t treat videogames like some sort of befouling devil media, but just another neat thing in our lives.

Don’t miss special guest appearance from actor Keith David, known among other roles as the voice of the Arbiter in Halo, as a friendly quarter collector.

This entry was posted in clips, videogames and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Video: Mister Rogers Plays Donkey Kong

1. jonjonz says:

I thought it was very telling that Fred Rogers went straight to the heart of the matter, which was that kids like video games because they are FUN!

I have always been a major fan of Mr. Rogers and was glad to see his positive treatment of the topic.

2. hanzo says:

I met Fred Rogers twice at Hidden Valley (Somerset, PA). Both times I was delivering a pizza to his home, and both times the guy was a raging jerk. And not just in the sense of “that guy stiffed me” (which he did, twice), but more in the “wow, that guy was just down-right rude and hateful”.

I blew the first meeting off as a bad night (everyone has them), after my second run-in I decided that he was just an ass who played a positive character on-screen.

3. charliekkendo says:

This pleases me on so many levels. I may have to watch that Goodbye clip for a good cry.

One of my favorite internet myths was that Fred Rogers always wore long sleeves to hide his tats, that he was this stone-cold ex Navy SEAL killer. I wanted that to be true.

4. hemidemisemiquaver says:

Youtube recommended the ‘mr rogers goodbye message’, and I have to admit, it made me cry a little.

5. HunterZ says:

Mario was actually a carpenter in Donkey Kong, look it up :p

I know Keith David mostly from the Pitch Black movies and John Carpenter’s The Thing, but apparently his voice talent was also used in the PC games Planescape Torment and Fallout 1 :)

6. Crash says:

It is also nice to remember the days when most video games had subject matter suitable for Mr. Rogers’ show.

7. kristofer says:

Makes me want to find a Donkey Game and play it… I had lots of fun with that game, one of my favorites.. I rememebr I had the small version that looked like a miniture arcade machine that sat on your table to play.. very cool!

Keith David also played a drug dealer in the movie “requiem for a dream” … his character traded drugs for sex with jennifer conley’s character.. a classic line of his in that movie was “i know it’s pretty, but i didn’t take it out for air.” … it’s kinda funny to think about the contrast between this clip and requiem for a dream…

9. Skwid says:

Not only was Mario a carpenter, he wasn’t “Mario.” He was just Jumpman.

10. swimineyes says:

i was crackin up when the kid burst out, “down’s not really used in this game.”

11. Cpt. Tim says:

I’ve no attribution on this, so delete it if you can’t find a source:

Donkey Kong was actually a viral video game that reprogrammed the brains of a generation of children. Once the programming kicks in in 2012, everyone who played will become slaves to the reptilian humanoids who live under the denver international airport. Included in their ranks, Reptilian Jesus and the Space Pope.

(wow, i like what you can get away with when you don’t have to source outlandish comments!)

Tim, I thought Donkey Kong was a sophisticated recruitment device planted by an advanced race of aliens in order to find a plucky Italian carpenter/plumber that will help them defeat the evil gorilla that’s terrorizing their scaffolding-and-ladder planet. I guess you learn something new every day.

13. Jericho says:

Isn’t Keith David also the voice of the Arbiter in Halo 2? Man, I loved him in “Men At Work.” also “There’s Something About Mary.”

I’ve no attribution on this, so delete it if you can’t find a source:

Not only was he a carpenter, but the entire Donkey Kong game was a (twisted) allegory for Christianity. This was the justification for giving him 3 lives (the trinity), and the basis for the game (ie. fighting “the beast”).

15. Res Cogitans says:

Oh excellent, even a shot of the classic “HOW HIGH CAN YOU GET?” message!

16. License Farm says:

@ Kristofer: I have that, along with a mini Pac-Man machine.

Keith David has one of the most distinctive voices around; he portrayed both Goliath from Disney’s Gargoyles and Spawn. Having just watched it the other night on TV, I should note that he gets to be in the longest, most pointless street fight ever committed to film with “Rowdy” Roddy Piper in John Carpenter’s They Live:

“Put on the sunglasses!”
    “Why you dirty motherfucker.”

17. charliekkendo says:

I’ve no attribution on this, so delete it if you can’t find a source:

Mr. Rogers Neighborhood was the original inspiration for Donkey Kong. Mario and Kong were based on puppets Rogers made but ultimately rejected for his show. While screwing around between takes Rogers created a story of a Czech janitor trying to scale a series of ladders to….

Nah, you guys are better at this than me!

pwned by Mr. Rogers Joel.. pwned!