Douglas Hammers

douglass-hammers.jpg

While still reticent to discuss hammers after the last time I made fun of one for being expensive, I am compelled to pass on these attractive models from Douglas Hammers, which feature a “Head-Handle Interface Technology,” a fancy way to say that the head is attached to the hilt with pins instead of being jammer through the top of the head and held in place with a spreader. I make no claims to their efficiency; they just look neat.

Many weights are available, starting at $60 and going up to $70. Replacement handles are around $20.

Product PageUncrate]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Douglas Hammers

1. GTMoogle says:

A magnet in the head #3? Oh, goodie, I wonder how long THAT will last, given that shock tends to demagnatize most materials. If there’s a magnet that isn’t affected by it, it’s news to me. Hopefully it at least would take a while to lose its power significantly.

2. Chris S says:

“Look neat” will have the be the key item here. I don’t use a hammer with the head held on with a wedge either. But my Estwing one-piece forged steel framing hammer costs about 1/4 of what that one goes for — and I’m guessing it will actually stand up to more abuse.

The holes in the face are a “traction face”, usually indicative of a framing hammer – for large scale, rough work, using nails with large heads. With finishing nails and the like, you would of course want a smooth face hammer (which these guys, and most hammer makers, also sell).

The T shaped slot in the top of the head magnetically holds nails to get them started. You can swing in the initial setting of the nail and then just keep hitting it in as usual all while keeping your other hand safely away from getting hit. I want one.

4. Meuzent says:

Douglas makes a couple different models of this hammer. The ones with holes in the face are framing models and the smooth ones are for finish work. I have a framing one and one day would like to get one of his finish models. I LOVE mine and I have tried all off the other fancy $300+ hammers you can think of. Yes they sell replacement handles but you may never need one.

5. gewurztraminer says:

Replacement handle? I have some of my parents’ old hammers, older than me, and they’ve never needed a handle replacement. If they ever did, being that they are Craftsman a replacement would be free.

6. sonny p fontaine says:

obviously a shill for that particular retailer. how many hammers did/does gewurztraminers parents own? sometimes handles should be replaced.

7. graham says:

it sounds to me like many of the people poo pooing the hammer haven’t spent much time swinging one.

handles break when you work them including elbow killing steel shank ones.

I can’t think of the last time I missed a nail because the head of my hammer was to big to see past. Its called muscle memory folks and after swinging a hammer for a while you know where to swing it without having to see.

as for the price issue. you get what you pay for and as hammers go this is rather affordable I swing a 350$ titanium hammer. you can either drive a pinto or experience a mustang

8. mesrop says:

My old man and brother are contractors. So they have one that is the same but without the nail setter. To be honest I never see it in there hands. The stalk is big and the head is no different. trying to hammer a nail with it you can hardly see where you are hitting. Your more likely to miss or hit a glancing blow (when your framing all the wasted blows add up to pain in your arm). Plus a wooden stalk… ya it looks cool but it breaks….

9. GaryG says:

Cheers Chris.

10. GaryG says:

So, in my ignorance, what are all the holes for? Save weight? But aren’t hammers meant to be heavy?

11. Andres says:

Is util with holes? :)

12. gquann says:

I’m wondering if those holes would give some trouble with smaller nails. They look stylish, though… :)

13. hammerman33 says:

I am a framer of 12 years. For the last two, I have owned a DFR20 from Douglas.
    Here is My two cents.
    The wood handle has not been a problem at all. Believe me, I have put it to all the tests. No breaks yet. Wood is also a good shock absorber. No more sore hand at the end of the day. As for the magnet, I use it all the time and it has not lost its strength yet. The side puller is great too.
    The post about the hammer being too big and not being able to see what you are hitting is rediculous! If you are having problems seeing what you are hitting this is not the hammers fault.
    The balance is great and the swing very comfortable.
    Overall, this is the best hammer I have ever used.