Skull Helmet

skullhelmetjpg.jpg

While I think anybody who rides a motorcycle without a full-faced helmet has a wish to have their jaw sheared off and wrapped around their trachea like a bone choker, I have a feeling the chopper-and-hog set have few such concerns. And as such, this Skull Helmet from Santiago Chopper meets their primary criterion: open-throttle badassery.

It’s $150. Update: Kurt L. adds: “The skull helmet is out of stock and not DOT or Snell approved.” Who cares? I’ll see you in Snell!

Product Page [SantiagoChopper.com via Oh Gizmo via NotCot]

This entry was posted in choppers and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Skull Helmet

1. Shig Vigintitres says:

Of course, the real reason this is unsafe isn’t because it offers poor head protection or restricts vision. It’s because 40% of the people who buy them will do so with the intention of setting them on fire and then riding around attacking evildoers with a 60-foot chain.

2. LapisPezuli says:

sparkle fingers, svenski!

why on earth would someone glue a mohawk onto their helmet? the top is supposed to be smooth so it doesn’t catch on anything.

people (well, me) have enough trouble keeping eyes and mouth free of bugs and gunk at bicycle speeds, let alone motorcycle. i’m scared.

i could care less about what sort of personal protective gear people wear on the road. anything that limits the senses and the ability to navigate and share the road safely is particularly frightening.

now, if the lower part of the skull was painted/built onto an optical panel, then i’d begin to see the virtues of this helmet.

Skeletor?

Uhm, Kewl skid Lid I want one.. To the whimps and shadow fearing wussy’s above before you go placing me in your “group-djor” allow me to state that I am a Biker 21+ years now, 2 sleeves of Tats, my age 42, I am a former Marine, Combat 3x war Vet, and remember that it is due to “Bad Boyz” like my old ass that allow the freedom to you lil safety Nazi’s to preach your gospel, and others to choose to die on the open road if so chosen.. Life is short, safe as defined is absence of RISK!!! I cannot wake up without taking on risk, so a little Espirit da’ Corps my fuzzy lil tree huggers!! Live to ride RIDE to LIVE!! and if you can do that with a smoke handing outta your mouth and a starbucks in your hand on your Goldwing on the way to play golf or off on your lil rice burner doing 180MPH + while wearing the SKUL-LID, GO FOR IT!!!! THis is the USA isn’t it?? Nuff said..

Probably not legal in most helmet states. Even where it is, I can not imagine the wind drag this thing must create. Cool as it looks, it is probably unwearable except at parade speeds.

6. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

I believe you have a point there, Shig.

7. Dav says:

I’d like to see a photo of someone wearing this. I suspect they won’t look as badass as you might imagine.

8. deejayqueue says:

If you put some lexan shades in there I think it would pass helmet laws, but it’s most probably not DOT or Snell approved.

9. Cpt. Tim says:

all manner of stupid.

Restricts your vision= not smart.
    half-shell, offeres minimal protection= not smart
    Black/Bad for visibility= not smart.

The kind of person who would ride while wearing this is the kind of person that rides in shorts and t-shirts.

10. Cpt. Tim says:

also i find it funny that a helmet shaped like a skull would do such a poor job protecting your actual skull.

11. MonkeyFez says:

classy gear for classy folks.

Look at me I’m a tough-guy….accountant.

schmucks.

It looks cool. Period. You are some really party pooping folks.

13. PrettyBoyTim says:

I think it would be a fun helmet to wear on a bike, rather than a motorbike.

The peripheral vision looks a bit limited, which might make looking behind you bit tricky, and it’d probably be sweaty as hell but it still looks fun to me!

you can safely wear a half-hat, or even No-hat if you drive one of these, as i do every day

15. jordan says:

As a sort of sculpture, it’s cool. As a helmet, it’s kinda lame and somehow desperate (useability issues aside).

(Yeah, I’d never consider riding without a full-face helmet and ballistics: even when your riding is perfect, drivers tend to be, well, idiots )

16. demonghost says:

hahahaha this has got to be the funniest thing i’ve seen in my life. you’ve got all these guys claiming to be riders and their afraid of a helmet that looks a little different. bunch of cry babies, look if you’re afraid pull you moped over to the shoulder and let those of us who embrace the freedom and life of a true rider come by. this is a badass helmet idea you bunch of yuppie pricks! grow a pair of balls or shut the hell up! let us have our fun, punks!

The purpose of an open-face helmet or skullcap is that you can easily put on sunglasses, smoke, drink and eat while riding your chopper. This helmet does not allow any of those things.

All jokes aside I have problems with the eye section, unless there are some lenses over the eye sockets of this helmet it doesn’t look like you could actually wear sunglasses while wearing it, leaving your eyes completely unprotected for all the gunk and flies shooting into your eyes like projectiles at 110 MPH.

18. Svenski says:

Oh great, more commercialized tough guy nonsense. This thing is about as gay as those clowns who glue mowhawks on their helmets.

#4 and #6, I’m with you.

19. Cpt. Tim says:

“The purpose of an open-face helmet or skullcap is that you can easily put on sunglasses, smoke, drink and eat while riding your chopper.”

you could have shortened that to:

“The purpose of an open faced helmet is so you can be stupid on a motorcycle.”

Theres absolutely no reason a rider would need to do any of those things. i don’t even listen to music.

20. serovectra says:

Santiago Chopper Seemingly received a large quantity of these skull helmets for x-mas. Could be a good gift idea for your biker husband/dad.

21. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

As long as it comes with an organ donor card, I don’t see the problem.

Oh, I get it… these are for Jerry’s Kids, right?

The way every one is complaining, you’d think you’d be seeing every sportbike rider out there wearing one!

Hey SHIG…VERY FUNNY… now to all of those people that are bitchin and moaning about how it looks to them and how a person who wear this is an idiot…go sit on a pole. People stop trying to restrict people from having fun and doing what they wanna do. shit the whole idea about riding motorcycles is about the freedom and the lack of restrictions. so if your gonna cry about the product just skip over the comments section cause it hurts my eyes to eyes to see all the women crying about DOT reg. and all the other stuff ur crying about….SHUT UP AND RIDE!!!!

25. AutoDad says:

You might as well wear this thing backwards for all the good it’ll do you.

26. Nathan says:

Man, the first 20 posts on this were a bunch of whiny little babies…. I agree with the Marine, Ride To Live! We are all gonna go, and if you wreck at highway speeds, what good is a helmet gonna do you??? just hold your brain in? who wants to live as a parapalegic vegatable because of a fucking helmet!

guys guys guys… who cares if some one has a skull helmet, glued mohawk or buffalo horns. If choppin and cruzing was about safety and being conservative we’d all be riding honda rebels with bumpers. lighten up!

28. Drew Blood says:

You guys are no fun! I’m considering this for a friend in the local Roller Derby League. Sure, she couldn’t see, but she’d be so badass looking it wouldn’t even matter!

29. AndyCanfield says:

I wish I had one of these. I live in Thailand, and Thais are very superstitious. Imagine how many people would freak out to see a skull driving around town! Yeah, it’s unsafe, but I can live with that. Or die with it; whatever. Maybe not for the daily commute, but for an occasional “freak out the munchkins” trip. Drive it around the park once and hear how many girls scream.