Saeco Etienne Louis Espresso Machine by Carlo Borer

saeco-etienne-louis-espresso-coffee-machine_48.jpg

Hunter S. Mencken points out this amazing espresso machine from Swiss designer Carlo Borer, noting it “looks like WWII naval mine.” It’s gorgeous—and might even be available for purchase, although I can’t quite determine if that’s so. (I’m nearly positive it is, but the Saeco web site linked at Appliancist doesn’t seem to list it.)

While it does remind me a of a mine, as well, the tripod legs and the phallic handle below remind me of a Vernsian Wellsian Martian automaton.

Saeco Etienne Louis espresso coffee machine Appliancist via Born Rich via Coolest-Gadgets]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Saeco Etienne Louis Espresso Machine by Carlo Borer

Unfortunately, I believe the design is all on the subject of “looks” with nothing useful added in the way of functionality, so what you end up with is essentially a Saeco Magic in a pretty shell with a one liter tank. It’s unfortunate to have an attractive looking (and pricey!) appliance when the interior parts are bottom-end.
    _____________________
    DeLonghi Coffee Maker

2. neilwalker says:

Yes – a Wellsian war machine – with an alarming phallus! Enough to make Tom Cruise’s eyes water.

Ive seen one for sale in Melbourne – Myer city dept store has it and another design. both AU$2000

4. Isaac says:

Surely you mean Wellsian?

No matter what -ian you meant, I must have this.

Our existing espresso maker was a cheapie bought on sale to try out a pump-based machine. It’s ugly, and steaming is slow, but it works and cost me a grand total of about $30. If this thing works well and isn’t a multi-grand designer-masturbation fest, then it might grace my counters next year. (hope hope)

Sadly, it looks like they stopped making them in 2001. A total of 1700 were made. German page:

(crying)

I’ll have to make my own.

7. CoffeeGeek says:

Awesome design, so much so I used to put it on the CG Holiday Gift List.

Too bad it’s got such a shitty machine inside of it. It’s basically got a $125 Saeco Via Veneto driving the ‘spro out of it. Boo.

8. Skwid says:

Dude! It’s the Espresso-Fucker!

9. decultured says:

Anyone who is a fan of penny-arcade can identify this immediately: it is obviously the sinister offspring of penny-arcade’s fruit fucker and a naval mine. The resemblance is just too uncanny to be anything else.