Stephen Fry on Electric Toothbrushes

There comes a time in every gadget blogger’s life when he must write about an electric toothbrush. You either accept the fate with a dingy smile or explode in a clatter of gnashed, flying teeth. Fortunately for us, the young Stephen Fry has approach his time with the “the Oral-B®, Professional Care™ Triumph™ (with Wireless SmartGuide) Oral-B (”powered by Braun”)” with aplomb.

A base station, where sits and charges the toothbrush itself, transmits by radio to a receiving element. The receiver substation is a plastic cartouche complete with obligatory LCD screen called a SmartGuide (phrases compressed with UpperCaseLetters such as this are DeRigueur for today’s sad MarketingPerson), which gives a reading of how long you’ve brushed, and how long you’ve got to go in each of the quadrants of the mouth, according to “professional” brushing standards recommended by dentists. It also tells you the time and rewards you with a smiley face when you’re done. Sigh. I think I’m in love.

Why I love smart toothbrushes and loathe internet plug-ins [StephenFry.com]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Stephen Fry on Electric Toothbrushes

1. davevontexas says:

Ah, yes, but can it play Vanessa Hudgens?

I rest my case.

2. Fnarf says:

Oral B’s got nothing on Sonicare. If you care more about brushing effectiveness than gee-whiz, that is.

I wish I could sign up for comments on Fry’s website, as I am a huge fan, but it won’t let me.

3. LoPhatt says:

Hukaba NICE electric toothbrush holder is by far the best system. I have used the same one for over 10 years now, and I love it. You can put your favorite toothbrush in it and has the best action. At the risk of sounding like an ad here is a link

4. Tommy says:

I, too, love my electric toothbrush.
    (Although it’s not as fancy as Fry’s.)

5. halfvenus says:

I’m off gadgets since I stuck my finger in the blade attachment of my Braun handblender…while it was on.

I’m a bit leery of my electric toothbrush, but unless I stick it in my eye, I think I’m ok.

6. strider_mt2k says:

I also enjoy my electrical toothbrusher, however I do not follow its commands.

7. Matthew Miller says:

Sonicare is nice, but the brushhead-brush interface is so much more complicated the thing becomes a nightmare to clean. If you don’t want nasty gunk building up, you have to spend more time cleaning your toothbrush than cleaning your teeth with it. No thanks.

8. Phos.... says:

I, for one, welcome our new toothbrush overlords.

9. cha0tic says:

halfvenus, just ’cause it’s called a hand blender doesn’t mean you should… :)