Furoshiki: Elegant Japanese Wrapping Technique

furoshiki.jpg

Furoshiki is a Japanese wrapping cloth used as a carry-all for nearly everything under the sun. This graphic shows just a few of the ways the furoshiki can be folded and twisted to carry boxes, books, bottles, and more. It seems like a wonderful technique to learn.

According to the Wikipedia entry, there is not one set size nor material to furoshiki cloths, so grab your hankerchief or washtowel and start saving plastic bags. (The only good suggestion I have heard for buying a made-to-order furoshiki is one that has the above graphic printed on it.)

The above graphic is direct from the Japanese government, which has been encouraging the use of furoshiki instead of other more wasteful solutions.

How to use “Furoshiki” + PDF [Env.go.jp] (Thanks, Rob!)

This entry was posted in Consumption. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Furoshiki: Elegant Japanese Wrapping Technique

Looks like you got yerself a bindle.

2. ThinkandDrive says:

My wife and I actually wrapped up all of the family’s Christmas gifts in fabric last year using these folding techniques. It went over really well and everyone was intrigued by our choice not to use paper wrapping.

3. Jenn says:

I learned from a tv show that furoshiki actually were traditionally used as towels to spread on the floor when you got out of the bath tub (furo = bath, shiki = to spread). It’s kinda neat how they’ve outgrown their nature to become such useful objects!

Cool. I’ve done handkerchief wrapping before, I didn’t know it had a name or interesting history.

5. seemsArtless says:

I couldn’t find a black and white version more suitable for printing ( white on a green background isn’t very “green” for printing… ) http://furoshiki.com/techniques.php isn’t bad, but not as good a summary as the PDF.

6. lilacsigil says:

It’s easy to make a print-friendly version in a graphics program – replace the green with black, then invert colours. Ta da!

7. grey says:

I am in love with the fact there’s a special tying pattern just for watermelons. I think I shall have to drag out my sewing machine tomorrow.

8. the specialist says:

you need instructions for this? you need to print these instructions?