Dell Crystal LCD Monitor

dell_crystal1.jpg

This is Dell’s new fancy monitor, the “Dell Crystal LCD.” I applaud Dell’s willingness to put this one to market. Its design certainly makes a statement.

Here’s why you shouldn’t buy it: It’s only a 22-inch monitor with a 1,680 by 1,050 resolution. At this point I wouldn’t buy a monitor smaller than 24 inches with a 1080p or great resolution. (The typical monitor resolution at that size is 1,920 by 1,200 pixels.) And if I weren’t going to buy a big widescreen monitor it would be because I was going to buy two monitors to use in a dual screen configuration, which the wide glass bezel of the Crystal LCD precludes.

Oh, and it’s $1,200—$900 more than other 22-inch models from Dell.

Still, I really like it as a concept and I hope to see more risk-taking and similar design choices from Dell, if only to see that sort of design filter down into their cheaper hardware.

[via Gizmodo and Engadget]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Dell Crystal LCD Monitor

1. Lamnidae says:

Would be easy to simply have the speaker holes pre-cut. Almost any glass shop takes custom tempered glass orders. All you need is a good diagram and you can have your glass a week later.

2. loftwyr says:

I wonder if it will have the same issues that the Apple cube did. Stress cracks after a year making it look awful.

I actually have one at work and must say that I’m very impressed with all features it offers. The design is clean and extremely attractive. The glass attached to the monitor gives it an illusion that it is a 24+ inch and the overall design with speakers and polished chrome for the stand with black stripes around the monitor is just an amazing look in reality. I’m very pleased of the design, because it looks better seeing it in person than on a picture. The design is a clear A+ grade. I’m saying it looks as a 24inch + monitor because the people passing buy think so, just form its visual design. On the other hand the graphic quality are beyond anything I have seen (super extra vivid colors), except for the Apples new HD monitors is probably same.

I have a dual screen and the second one is also Dell but older version. Ok, how can I express the quality of graphics compared to any regular monitors except ( Apple’s HD cinema) ? If you would compare photo prints and one is printed on a supper high quality with premium glossy paper and the other with regular matt paper, the super glossy paper is the Dell Crystal and the regular matt paper is all of the rest (again except some of the Apple monitors). Since I do have a regular monitor to compare with (of course I’m using dual monitors) I can see the quality of an image on both simultaneously, I can only say “Great job Dell” for the Crystal monitor. The colors are so clear and because ( I believe of the added glass) of the glass I can see all colors with super bright reflection. Just like looking at mirror, beautiful. Actually on some colors (black) I can actually see myself because it’s super clear (I think the extra glass does add some of the effect of reflection).

If I go back few month, Dell’s best previous screen I believe is the 24inch ultra sharp, but with this new baby Dell Crystal it blows the 24inch ultra sharp (I think it costs $700) monitor away. You can look at performance wise and the Dell Crystal has slightly better for most of the stuff, and on some like the response time is 2-3 times better then the 24Inch ultra sharp. Any way the quality will talk for itself when you see the monitor in person.

Overall this is an excellent monitor with few downsides, the cost and only comes in 22”. It’s a bit costly, so I don’t know if I would pay that much for my personal monitor at home. But I have been getting tones of comments from work on both design and graphics. If you are wondering why in a world I decided to choose this monitor, well first of all I work with graphics and I wanted something above the usually monitor. This is an excellent choice but quite expensive.

Don’t think that Dell just added a glass, speakers and a camera to the monitor. This monitor outperforms definitely all of the Dells monitors (both performance and design) and majority of the regular monitors. I do not know if it’s better than some of the Apples but looks pretty same to me compared to some Apples HD monitors. After all this is not the best graphic monitor on the market, Apple and few others offer monitors that cost $3K +

The clear portion is actually glass, not plastic, so it won’t have the problems that the Cube did.

I think it’s a perfect example for a DIY project; mounting a tempered glass sheet to a gutted and prettified LCD monitor wouldn’t be too difficult. The speaker holes would be .. interesting.

Oh, clarification: Read “interesting” as “difficult.”

6. badc0ffee says:

1920×1200 is the perfect resolution to display 1080p (1920×1080) content. The reason is that widescreen TVs are 16:9 and widescreen monitors are 16:10.

7. Doran says:

I don’t see what the glass adds, especially since I’d rather use my own speakers. It looks sorta cool, sorta, but certainly not $900 worth of cool.

8. schmod says:

I remember when my 20″ Cinema Display was *huge*

Now it’s pretty average. However, comparing the 5 year old display to newer (and cheaper) LCD panels side-by-side reveals that cheapo LCD screens are not all that good. (Brighter, yes. But overall, a much poorer image). The comparison between a bad LCD, and an expensive CRT is even more striking.

But, really. Why can’t Dell design things that are pretty, *AND* reasonably affordable? The design isn’t even that striking.

Apple’s got a pretty significant edge here… even their budget machines are beautifully designed (both in form, and function — even the “affordable” Mac Mini and iMacs are gorgeous, and in a convenient form factor to boot)