Arantix Bicycle with Carbon Fiber Lattice Frame

IsoTruss_Technology.jpg

The “Arantix” mountain bike from Delta 7 Sports uses an open lattice tube design made from carbon fiber and kevlar. They call the technique “IsoTruss.”

From the press release:

Each Arantix Mountain Bike frame takes approximately 300 hours to build, as Delta 7 Sports workers weave single carbon fiber strands to create the open lattice IsoTruss structure of each frame tube. Each bundle of carbon fiber strands are wrapped with Kevlar and then baked at 255 degrees Fahrenheit for four hours. The ends of the baked tubes are then machined before being joined with molded carbon fiber lugs to make a complete frame.

The completed frame weighs just 2.75 pounds.

Delta 7 Sports plans on shipping just 200 Arantix bikes in 2008 with a price of $12,000 fully kitted out or $7,000 for the frame alone.

Product Page [Delta7Sports.com via Oh Gizmo via Popular Science]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Arantix Bicycle with Carbon Fiber Lattice Frame

1. snagglepuss says:

Aah, what’s the dif between crud caught in the frame and crud caught in the sprockets or cables? A good blast of compressed air and yer good to go….plus, “2.75 lbs”? Wouldn’t that MORE than make up for any aerodynamic dysfunction?

2. Halloween Jack says:

For collectors mostly, I’d assume, although I’m curious as to what the ride is like. I’d be more than happy with a titanium frame, myself.

3. TwoShort says:

“plus, ’2.75 lbs’? Wouldn’t that MORE than make up for any aerodynamic dysfunction?”

For a road bike: No. Aerodynamics are a much bigger deal than weight, and the lightest frames are under that anyway.

For a mountain bike, weight is a big deal, but the frame isn’t responsible for all that much of it, so the savings is marginal. Also, how much will it weigh with all those holes full of mud?

Finally, bump one rock a little hard and your frame is garbage. There’s a reason they don’t make mountain bikes out of Carbon Fiber, even the regular complete-tube way. The failure mode is utterly inappropriate; it fractures where metal dents.

4. Hounskull says:

That frame is designed to shred testicles.

5. ps says:

always, and forever, steel is real.

“Weight has been overemphasized by the media, and manufacturers have responded with frames and components that live on the brink of failure. If you haven’t heard of them or seen the photos of snapped forks and handlebars, you’re just out of the loop, because they’re out there. Manufacturers are building to weight, and as a result, the number of failures and recalls in “high-end” frames and forks and components has skyrocketed. That’s not safe.”

when you are looking at the weight of your bike you have to look at the whole package, 150 lb man, 2.75 lb frame + 10 lbs worth of components. great. you shaved a couple pounds off the package, thats not gonna help you out too much, riding more, everyday on a bike that will last until you wreck it and then can be recycled will.

if you are interested at all in the art and science of practical/effective/intelligent bike components and materials check out the “Read” section of http://www.rivbike.com/ it is quite fantastic.

I’d hate to try to clean it after riding through a mud puddle! The tubes will fill up with leaves and crap in no time… ;-)

7. Aaron T. says:

That frame looks like it was inspired by the Venus flower basket.

8. Marshall says:

That thing is a mess waiting to happen. I can’t imagine trying to keep it clean.

Oh Boy! I can pay 4 times as much more than the best mtb on the market for the same components! Where do I sign?!!!!!

10. fiatrn says:

That’s a pretty frame, and as far as art goes, it’ll probably sell. As for being a functional mtb, it’s just dumb. Filled with dirt, it’ll weigh a whole lot more. With sticks and such caught in the open surface, it’ll really look absurd. Crashed into a tree, possibly worthless, and probably painful as it cheese graters your leg into parmesan.

At least it won’t fill with water when you perform water crossings.

Of note :

-the frame in the photo does not appear to have carbon fibre lugs. they are either aluminium or titanium by their look.
    -a Blue carbon mtb frame weighs 1330g=2.9lbs and costs approx 1200$

My all steel Bontrager Race frame weighs around 4lbs and cost 250$ used. It will last until the end of time, and has survived some dreadful offs with nothing but paint scratches. I doubt that carbon princess would last a day of technical riding with my skills as a rider!

(I’m not connected with Bontrager or Blue, btw, it just came quickly to mind and was easy to find)

11. kpkpkp says:

re: #4: I agree – It looks like the open mesh would catch mud and other crap and increase the weight. Perhaps a wipeable shrink “skin” could be added without increasing weight significantly? But that would decrease from the eye catching appeal. Maybe the open design is better for a *road* bike?

I think it looks astounding. Too pricey for me – but still super cool.

13. c1josh says:

Re:#6 I expect the aerodynamic drag of this is greater than a simple tube, so, maybe not so good as a road bike.

Every week there is a new example of some engineering (or worse I.D.) grad student’s wet dream. Some marketing fool takes the idea and a whole business plan is spun up out of Bucky Ball and nano spit.

People have been reinventing the bike for 100 years and every once in a while a small incremental improvement is made.

This is not one of them.

Even if you do drop all that money on one of these frames, I’ll still drop you like a hot rock and leave you lost in the woods. It’s not what you ride, it’s how you ride it.

I saw a photo of one of these about 4-5 years ago…and their press release read pretty much the same. I will believe one when I see it.

16. mappo says:

It might be an engineering triumph, but who wants a bike that looks like it was made out of lace doilies?