Belt Buckle Knives

p_flag_eagle_flame.jpg

Dug North writes:

I got one of these little beauties for Christmas and it is now the single coolest thing I own.

The knife is cleverly held in a custom belt buckle chassis with a magnet. The knife can be your hand and open in moments — even without practice. There is video on the site of the creator using the knife. ┬áHe HAS practiced and it is unbelievable. Butterfly knives, switchblades, and all other knives can’t even compete.

They even do custom engraving. I went for nice scroll engraved pattern and the belt buckle looks great with a pair of jeans.

“Looks great” is subjective, I know, but even the knives that aren’t engraved with eagles and flames and Abraham Lincoln sodomizing Khrushchev with Paul Revere’s horse are pretty ugly. But on the upside, the belt buckle knives are not on the FBI’s list of dangerous concealed weapons and are “accessible even when wearing chaps.”

The knives start around $70 unadorned and go up to around $110 with extra fanciness. Even if you don’t want one, seeing the repeating animated GIF of a man whipping a lens-flared knife out of his crotch is worth one captivating visit to their site.

Product Page [Belt-Buckle-Knife.com]

This entry was posted in knives. Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Belt Buckle Knives

31 , wake up… how could it be the original if bowen is for one a fixed blade and it is a complete differnt design!!!

2. Michiel says:

I guess this is an American thing?

I can see no use for this.

(Except if you need to cut people up regularly without them seeing it coming.)

3. sophie125 says:

Hello, I am from F & J Fashion in China.
    We have the knife buckles, and also we have MP3,MP4, lighter,and many other interesting products. If any of you interested, pls add my MSN: fjfashion1@hotmail.com
    or also you can visit our website:

“Unlike say, Europe where you never need a knife to open a package or cut an apple or trim a rope”

That’s right, because back here in merrie old England, we’ve not discovered apples yet! :P

Pocket knives are useful everywhere. In fact, I used to have a very easy to conceal Opinel pocketknife. The reason being, it was about an inch long, and therefore rather less offensively useful than a ballpoint pen!

It was however, rather cool in its minature way, and a convenient sharp thing for opening/cutting stuff. Sadly, I lost it due to the size. Some day I’ll get another and rig a lanyard onto it.

5. Rob Beschizza says:

Hello, anonymous dork!

What is the problem, exactly? I imagine the image was via Dug North, as referenced in the story. We’d be delighted to give credit where it’s due: email us with the details.

6. Dug North says:

#13 Agreed, running is the best option. No knife fights in my future. This is strictly for utilitarian purposes. (And to satisfy my obsession for things that serve more than one purpose and have hidden features.)

Regards,

Dug North

7. Dug North says:

LIZZLE,

No…I don’t own chaps. I think you have to own a motorcycle or a horse or perform with The Village People to pull that off.

Dug North

Greg Gillespie’s Official website is located at http://www.bucklehead.com from 2008 on! Don’t be fooled by this Japanese imitation through http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com Get the Official World’s Fastest Knife at the Official Website! Lifetime Warranty, Same Day Shipping, Flat rate of $7.50 on your complete order for US orders and $10.00 for your complete order on International orders. Order all you want and pay a flat rate! I checked it out and I am glad I did!

Wow. Just, wow. I’m sure these will be loved by hicks, outlaw bikers, and survivalists in every part of rural America. Now, if only they could include a matching Zippo lighter…

hello sorry to say but this belt buckle is not the best.that would be the bowen belt buckle knife. cost more but worth it.i made it through the line at divorce court. never gave the buckle a thought till i was next in line then it was to late.all the sheriff said when the buzzer went off and he checked me .was it’s ok it’s just your belt buckle it happens all the time.other than the fact i could hardly walk away (legs got weak)no one ever knew.

11. Wafflecone says:

These have been available for at least 3 years. I remember when Clive Thompson blogged about them. I was just thinking about them today. Belt buckle is on my list of items to optimize for utility.

12. JG says:

#8 exactly! Every time some nut tries a goofy stunt to get a firecracker or a pen knife on a plane we then all become subjected to the rising paranoia.
    If someone were caught with a knife in their underwear would we all be strip searched at check in? Probably.
    Seems like the TSA only becomes conscious of nefarious methods of concealment only AFTER someone attempts it (ie shoes, liquids, knives etc).
    So behind the curve.
    And once again there is no method out there to detect a plastic or glass weapon which simply means that all of this scrutiny hassle is for pointless.
    Searching grandmothers in wheelchairs and babes in arms does not make me feel safer at all.

13. Admore says:

@15, 18

Um, the USA has no national “Stop Knife Crime” campaign, unlike, say, the UK, where a “serious knife crime” occurs every 22 minutes.

So my thought is: this knife would be a huge hit in the UK, but is probably illegal there. Which is sad, as I think it could really give “knife crime” a badly needed boost. The UK’s knife crime statistics are within spitting distance of the USA’s gun crime statistics. A sweet belt buckle knife could give the UK the lead!

(Of course more people die from gun crime, but that’s just the nature of guns, isn’t it? It’s a lot harder to stab someone to death.)

14. DAWG43615 says:

hello i think i might be to late but o well.the best belt buckle knife is the bowen belt buckle knife. it cost more but it is worth it.not one of you could tell if some one had one on.i made it threw security at divorce court with it.i just never gave my buckle a thought till i was next in line to go threw the medal detector.when the sheriff checked me he said it’s ok it’s just your belt buckle.i could hardly walk but i was very happy.now that is concealed.

15. Znodis says:

My father worked for Fiskars years ago and was in product development to help get Gerber Knives back on their feet when they bought them out in the 80s. One of their products was the exact same concept and you can see their designs here.

All I’m saying is the idea is at least 20 years old. Honestly, I like the Gerber etchings much better, too. I think my dad gave me the bear one.

I carried a 2 1/2 inch swiss army knife since I was probably 10 years old. I’m not a hick, they’re just so dang useful. Scared my teachers a few times when I whipped it out to fix things tho. Unfortunately, 9/11 forced it into my sock drawer. I still reach for it at least once a week.

16. scaught says:

Dude. I’m actually entranced by this gif. I can’t stop staring at it. It’s incredible.

17. JG says:

#15 Unlike say, Europe where you never need a knife to open a package or cut an apple or trim a rope AMERICA is just filled with knife wielding opportunities.
    And yes we just slash one another for no particular reason.
    Forcryin’outloud,this is a novelty item, not some grand example of American depravity.
    Look, we know we suck, just don’t generalize about us when you see some goofy item that no one really buys.
    Geeze.

18. Lizzle says:

I’m hypnotised by the gif too. Ka-ching!

My mind is also inexorably drawn to what horrible accidents might occur if a clumsy man were wearing chaps and nothing else when drawing the knife, but this probably says more about me than it does the product.

19. tresser says:

News stories about people in airports and/or Boston in general getting detained wearing one of these in 5…4…3…

20. Lizzle says:

*Contemplates motorcycling Village People on horses and sighs.*

21. strider_mt2k says:

Don’t be treasonin’ up on them knives boah.

Responce to #5
    California Penal Code 12020(a): Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
    (1) Manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, lends, or possesses any… belt buckle knife… .

However, California Penal Code 12020(c)(13) states: As used in this section, a “belt buckle knife” is a knife which is made an integral part of a belt buckle and consists of a blade with a length of at least 2-1/2 inches.

The Bucklehead knife (and those like it) are not an intregal part of the belt buckle. And are “technically” legal.

23. Michiel says:

#18 It’s not the knife itself, but the belt-buckle + knife combination that has me wondering.

So yes, I guess it’s an American thing: while I regularly encounter people wearing belts here, I don’t ever see someone with such a big slab of iron on the waist. And especially not one containing a tool.

Also, no. I don’t ever have to use a knife, unless I’m cooking.

I’m not talking you down, I just remarked that this must be particular to a certain society. I was interested in this because no one of the earlier posters seemed to think the concept itself was goofy.

24. pliny the ill says:

Check your state regulations! California law explicitly prohibits knives that look like / fit into belt buckles.

Why is it that you have a picture of Greg Gillespie’s knife (http://www.bucklehead.com/id91.html)on the top of this page, but the link takes you to a counterfeit site that does not sell the same knife??

26. Dug North says:

OK, OK…. “Looks great” is subjective. They don’t have good picture of the scroll engraved version on their site. It really is nice, IMHO.

As mesmerizing as that .GIF is, check out the video on http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com/video.

Now…if I can just find a watch with a retractable garrote my secret agent kit will be complete.

Regards,

Dug North

Oh, I see, you have to approve the comment. In other words you are lying to people.

28. Chasqui says:

Wow… ok.. so this is a bit goofy. Part of it is the concept (big hunk-o-metal buckles?!) and part of it is the schlocky website. Methinks their advertisement budget should be concentrated at gun shows. Then again I am in Texas, and I do carry a (small, discrete) pocket knife. If it were better executed… Ok.. probably not. How about it if were flat and fit on the back on your mp3 player ;)

What the hell are you taking it into divorce court for? With a quality knife comes responsibility, trust me the bowen knife sucks. No wonder she is divorcing you. There’s only one original belt buckle knife you should find out who’s it’s by! I’ll give you a hint Greg G….. http://www.Bucklehead.com

I want one with my name engraved on it!

Buck.

and exactly how many knife fights do you plan to get into?

if someone pulls a knife on you , just run.

32. Squirrel X says:

Hope the TSA knows about these.

33. jonathan29 says:

Yeah, the lens flare was pretty great, but come on. “How fast can you whip *yours* out?” has to be the best marketing come-on (sorry) of all time.

34. jan_raas says:

Great … now we’re all gonna have to take off our belts for inspection at airports … and some TSA flunkie will decide the prong of mine is “suspiciously sharp” and offer me the opportunity to toss it … then I’ll be doin’ a OJ-as-a-rapper imitation as I run/shuffle thru the airport.

35. Lizzle says:

I have a question, Dug: are you wearing chaps?

36. jakubsafar says:

http://www.belt-buckle-knife.com/ is slashdotted. Or should I say “boinged”? … Unable to connect to database server …