MisuraEmme Wall Unit with Hidden HDTV

wallunitmissureemme.jpg

I don’t know about you, but I think this wall unit from Italian firm MisuraEmme is quite attractive, it’s only failing that it’s the sort of furniture that tends to dominate a room to the exclusion of any ratty furniture or knick-knacks you may own. But the integrated television unit is an especially nice way to hide a flat-panel when it’s not in use.

I didn’t bother looking at the price as I’m sure it’s painfully out of reach for most—or at least me—but I really like it in theory. The only real issue I could see with trying to make something similar on your own is that most flat panel TVs have a lip on the bezel that would prevent the display from getting right up on the glass, which would be critical for making sure you get the most light through the front.

What do you guys think about wall units in general? I’ve actually always been a fan, even down to the wood paneled versions of old. Then again I stay in a sort of raggedy hotel in the Florida Keys just because some of the rooms have room controls in a sloped wooden panel between the beds, so I may have a bit of a problem.

Product Page [MisuraEmme.it via Trendir via Crave.CNET.com]

This entry was posted in Furniture and Lighting, italy. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to MisuraEmme Wall Unit with Hidden HDTV

1. Hanglyman says:

Good luck getting behind there if you ever need to hook up anything ever again. Or moving those enormous panels around any kind of corner without banging up their pristine flat surfaces. Or, heck, even finding a wall big enough for the whole thing. It looks like they took these photos in an empty warehouse.

That said, it does look nice. It seems more like the sort of thing that should just come with a house, though, rather than being furniture you take with you.

back projection TVs are basically boxes full of air, aren’t they? if you guide the beams of light cleverly, you could make the projection screen removable (think doors or slider) and use the empty space where no beams go as rackspace for dvds or stuff. you could not watch and browse your libary at the same time, but there surely is something that would made sense putting “in” your TV.

The photo is a wonderful example of advertising pictures. Apparently this product will give trim women giant shiny cyborg breasts and trim their knee length skirts to minis. (Look at the reflection.) I suspect the photographer tried his best to get that lower ball to be at the knee joint, he didn’t get it there, but it is close enough to suggest a knee.

On more practical matters, I think that a glass close to the display, but not touching the LCD itself and of any significant thickness might have ghosting effects from internal reflections when viewed off axis. A test might be in order.

If custom building, I might design in a grid with some sort visual element outlining many of the grid’s lines, and I would arrange that the flat panel filled one of the grids but its edges were obscured by the outlining elements rendering it invisible. Of course three years later the TV would break and I’d never find one the right size again.

4. Kid says:

Pretty great looking, and it does not seem as hard to do as it seems. You use one-way mirror for all the doors of the cabinets. Most TVs should be able to shine through it, despite a little light loss. Or you can use one of those glass plates that can turn opaque or transparent with an electric current (Forgot what those are called.)

Of course, the joints will be critical to get such minimalist look, but the concept is probably the same as those Reflect cases for iPod from Griffin.

Another Weekend Project!!

5. w000t says:

I’ve always lusted after wall units, but more as a hybrid between architecture and furniture than this example. My dream has always been a unit with doors or panels that ran from floor to ceiling, allowing for storage while hiding most of the crap I can’t seem to part with. I like the hidden screen, though – a much more elegant solution than hiding it in a cabinet or those motorized monstrosities you see on Cribs

Take my floor-to-ceiling paneled storage center, put the TV in like this, throw in a pair of Mies van der Rohe Barcelona chairs, and a coffee table – plus several of Albers’ paintings from his Homage to the Square series while I’m dreaming – and my MoCo minimalism fantasies would be fulfilled.

6. Patrick says:

I have to be honest this doesn’t do it for me. Theres just too much going on around the TV that it would be almost hard to watch.. I think the wall units are fantastic though. If you could frame them around a fireplace or even a large abstract painting in the middle it could be pretty awesome. Plasma TVs need to be wall mounted and left alone :)

7. grey says:

Fingerprints. It would collect them like a fingerprint magnet and you’d see them from the other side of the house.

8. AndrewN says:

Brilliant! – hide a flat panel HDTV in a wall that looks like it’s one giant flat panel display. Not in my house.