N-Tune In-Guitar Tuner

n-tune.jpg

Guitar tuners are a dime a dozen, including ones with little motors that physically turn the pegs to Gibson’s fully automatic “Robot guitars.” Separate tuners are difficult to find when you’re on stage, however, and the Robot guitar, while interesting, makes you play on an entirely new guitar. (And pay over two large for the privilege.)

I think the new “N-Tune” tuner is a nice compromise. It’s basically just a simple digital tuner as found for $15 on the shelves of any guitar shop, but designed to slip under your existing guitar’s volume knob. Pull the knob out and the N-Tune activates, cutting off output so you don’t sound like a twerp while tuning back in. The tone to which the N-Tune thinks you’re trying to tune lights up, while a green LED activates when you’re on pitch.

The N-Tune is going to be $100 when it’s out this month. Some installation will be required, of course, but nothing too onerous. They’re sending me one to test, so I’ll be digging into my Mexican Telecaster to do my own install. My thrash metal cover of “Froggy Went a’Courtin’” will sound better than ever.

Product Page [N-Tune]

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments, guitar and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to N-Tune In-Guitar Tuner

1. CountD says:

I really like the fact that it’s chromatic, so it can (in concept) handle crazy tunings. Now you can play Kashmir without having to set up a completely different guitar.

2. Patrick Nielsen Hayden says:

What electronic guitar tuner isn’t chromatic? Both of mine are.

The real test of these things is how they perform on stage at a real gig, preferably one in a dive bar with no monitors and crap sound. As a special service to the South Slope / Sunset Park Blog Co-Prosperity Sphere I selflessly volunteer to subject one of these to those conditions.

Kerowhack: I was interested in that Edge tuner, but it disappeared from the stores before I got around to trying it. Does it work well? I’m OK with my stage rig (Variax and Pod XT Live) but I’ve got a lot of guitar students, and *jeez* would I like them to be tuned.

Atonal in Atlanta

I want one, but I saw somewhere that these will be around $80, which seems a little steep (though lord knows I’m bloody sick of tuning up every time I pick up the damn guitar). Anyone know if it’ll fit flush on a carve-top LP?

5. michaelportent says:

Almost every guitar tuner has a bypass switch now so you “don’t sound like a twerp.” I do like the whole volume knob positioning though. I would be slightly worried about accidentally turning it on while adjusting volume in the middle of a gig or something.

6. kerowhack says:

Years ago I had a tuner similar to this one that mounted in the top edge of a replacement Strat pickguard. It was called “The Edge” and was also offered mounted in a humbucker ring. Ummmm, (google,google,google) ah HAH!
    Optronix Tuning Systems

Same functionality(just turn the volume knob down and no one would hear you), easier to read, and held up very well over many gigs. About the same price, too.

7. Jonn says:

Nice idea, but when you’ve got 7 or 8 guitars like I have it’s really a bit pointless. Plus, you’ve still got to use your $15 tuner for your acoustics. It’s a (expensive) gimmick.

8. Troy says:

I think Jonn makes an excellent point. Even if you only have three guitars, the cost of installing the N-Tune on each of them would net you a Strobo-stomp or something equally fancy.

However, it seems like the N-Tune would double as a kill switch (although it would be significantly less effective and more expensive than a simple momentary switch from Radio Shack), so if you’re in the market for both, it could be a good choice.