Video: Clip from “Ikarie XB 1,” Czechoslovakian Space Noir (1963)

Here’s a clip from “Ikarie XB 1,” a Soviet-era sci-fi flick from Czechoslovakia in 1963, in which cosmonauts explore a derelict space station. I’m watching it now. It’s gorgeous. I want a copy of this—and I can have one, it seems, from XploitedCinema.com. ($30, but it’s in PAL.) I would also like my apartment to look like these sets. I’l get to work on that.

From the Youtube description:

The film is generally apolitical, except for this remarkable scene, in which the explorers enter a derelict 20th Century space craft, littered with evidence of capitalist immorality. The visuals are striking. Corpses of tuxedo-clad, gambling westerners, their bodies preserved by open vacuum. The crew killed by their own chemical hand-weapons as they fought over dwindling oxygen. The ship laden with nuclear weapons — still active after centuries.

Exploring derelict space ship in rare Soviet-style SF film [Youtube] (Thanks, Brownlee!)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Video: Clip from “Ikarie XB 1,” Czechoslovakian Space Noir (1963)

1. Tommy says:

I didn’t find the dialog any more political than most episodes of Star Trek.

2. se7a7n7 says:

WOW! That was really good.

Reminded me of the movie 2001

3. chus3r says:

Genius. Did they patent the light up shoe? http://catalog.skechers.com/popular/BOYS-Lighted-Shoes.shtml

The dialog is the best. The women even have jewelry.

Excellent clip. Doesn’t xbox 360 play pal?

4. Bevatron Repairman says:

I want me some Tigger Fun.

You could Ikarie and other old czech movies from this official distributor: http://www.filmexport.cz/

Totally sweet. The quality is really high for a YouTube clip, too.