Col-Pop: Fast Food Drink Caddie for Snacks

col-pop.jpg

Serious Eats‘ Adam Kuban documents the “Col-Pop,” perhaps the future of popcorn chicken and soda delivery. It’s available at BBQ Chicken, which has only a handful of stores open in the U.S. at the moment, but will be expanding soon.

And the genius doesn’t stop at popcorn chicken. In South Korea, sister company BHC Chicken also offers spaghetti, french fries, and fried mozzarella balls in Col-Pop containers.

Snack to the Future: The Col-Pop, an All-in-One Chicken Nugget and Soda Cup [SeriousEats.com]

Update: Reader Orlando took the Col-Pop for a spin and posted his field report in the comments:

I actually went and had one around lunch time yesterday at the Manhattan location. First off, they aren’t cheap… the large Col-Pop is around 5$. Secondly, while the idea of the container itself is pretty cool, the resulting product was just okay. The chicken balls (thats really what they are, balls of chicken, no need to pretty this up for you) were okay. BBQ Chicken actually fries their chicken in olive oil, which they claim makes it “healthier”, but I was under the impression that only using raw olive oil made it a healthier oil. Basically anything fried is gonna make you fatter and more heart attack worthy. Flavour wise, big step up from KFC, which I don’t eat, because, well, its gross. The chicken was very lightly breadded, and was, unlike the KFC popcorn chicken, actually contained meat, not just breadded fat. Basically crispy and tender. The major flaw was not that the chicken affected the soda, nor soda the chicken, but that the cup itself began to get soft and flimsy feeling by the end of my snack gorging. So, end result, as I said before, I felt it was an okay product, just that was a little expensive for my taste, and probably wouldn’t buy again.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Col-Pop: Fast Food Drink Caddie for Snacks

1. chroma says:

This would be great for the movie theater. No more having to juggle separate drink and popcorn containers.

2. mdhatter says:

I have seen the future, and there is still litter.

3. ernie says:

It still looks like a pain in the ass though, with a SEPERATE section for the chicken, and a SEPERATE section for the soda.. too confusing.

They should take a clue from the KFC Famous Bowl and heap the lot into the cup, maybe then, IF I HAVE TIME, I’ll consider it.

That is hilarious.

@MDHatter: No joke. The city I live in (Columbus) toyed with a sizable deposit on fast food containers. (fully refundable) I was disappointed it didn’t go further.

5. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Good start, but still not ready for prime time. Where does the dipping sauce go? back to the drawing board!

Disruptive technology! (duck)

7. Jack says:

Finally! A way to minimize all upper body movement while snacking.

8. Halloween Jack says:

Does it keep the hot stuff hot and the cold stuff cold? Magic 8-ball says, “Doesn’t matter–you still need to stop eating that crap!”

9. License Farm says:

@ #6 Ernie: Patton Oswalt has a hysterical routine about the KFC Famous Bowls:

“Could you take all those and pile them together into a single bowl for me?”
    “Uh, yes, I could. I could also arrange them on a plate as though you were an adult with some dignity.”

10. h3llc4t says:

@ 8 = The clip-on dip caddy. Duh.

I wish we had one of these in Columbus.

11. Fnarf says:

The advantage over shitting in your hand and eating that is that you don’t have to wash your hands for as long after eating this.

12. MarlboroTestMonkey7 says:

Chroma has the right idea there, and I see this as a better container for movie nacho and drink combo.

13. Orlando Insane says:

14. Gloria says:

@21: Ditto. Sheesh. And I thought people were harsh on women’s looks.

15. Kid says:

The problem probably is that the ice might cool the snack pretty quick, even if the snack is insulated. And that means when you reach the bottom, the nuggets taste like what it should be like (crap).

Nevertheless, this is great because this allows me to walk and drink and eat at the same time! And it also solves the “Where can the popcorn go?” issues in a cinema.

Can’t wait to see the supersize version of that. ;)

16. sonny p fontaine says:

why, there just happens to be a bbq chicken location within my walking distance. and i am just that much closer to the flatiron home depot.
    damn, ghoulianti made this city so convenient for chains. a cryin’ shame he dropped out of the race. i was really looking forward to his 5th wife meeting forei…sorry, getting a bit off topic i guess. i’ll have to check this chicken place out.

17. sonny p fontaine says:

and, damn 4 & 13. the guy on the right is adam kuban from serious eats. and you two seem like anti-social pricks. just sayin.

18. vik says:

Umm… frying in raw olive oil ain’t any healthier – olive oil has a low smoke point, which makes it rather bad for heating to high temperatures… in fact extra virgin olive oil starts producing carcinogens when heated to frying temperatures. Deep frying should be left for deep frying oils

19. Marshall says:

The guy on the right is a certifiable McPerson.

20. Orlando Insane says:

Wow! That is kind of cool…
    And they have one right down the street from me!
    I’ll let you know if the food is as bad as it looks! :)

21. Bugs says:

This, surely, is one of those technological feats that makes us all pause for a second and think, “Wow, I’m living in the future!”

(Surely this would cool the nuggets and warm the soda? I understand that hot air rises, but I’d still expect the Nugget Caddy (TM) to conduct some heat downwards)

22. strider_mt2k says:

What a perfect time to be swearing of of “foods” like this.

Bastards.

23. gabrielm says:

Looks like this guy had the same idea for a container. If only he had patented it rather then posting it to the half bakery.

Photo

24. pork musket says:

Something about the picture on the right is very appropriate. Receding hairline? Nasty beard to cover your extra chin? Who needs women when you can fall into the warm embrace of popcorn chicken for just $2.99?

I look forward to more innovative food delivery systems, like the licorice rope dispenser in the Mirth Mobile.

25. noen says:

Obvious design flaw. Clearly the cup isn’t big enough. Shouldn’t that be a 64oz MegaSlurp and two pounds worth of popcorn chicken?