Wired Issue 1 Admired

masthead.jpg

Rex Sorgatz cracks the spine of Wired issue 1.1, the very first. I don’t think I ended up getting Wired until a couple of issues in, shoplifted from my local Quiktrip, so it’s especially interesting to see what all the fuss was about 15 years back.

There were probably two reasons why we loved the colophon: 1) we had no idea what a colophon was, and 2) it showed the means of production of the magazine. The colophon listed the computers (Apple Macintosh II), the printers (HP Scanjet IIc), the layout software (Quark XPress), and even the routers (Farallon). And then it concluded with some music (Dinosaur Jr., Curve, k.d. lang, etc.) and a final heading for “drugs of choice” (caffeine, sugar, Advil).

Wired 1.1: An Archaeology [Fimoculous.com via Waxy]

Update: The founding editor of Wired sent a long email to Fimoculous with more details about the backstory of Wired 1.1. [Filmoculous]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Wired Issue 1 Admired

Mondo 2000.. Oh man.. (maudlin sigh)

2. jbang says:

I miss Wired, in a similar way to how I miss the 90s.

Their prognosticating seemed so… ridiculous, a lot of the time, as did their preoccupation with Negroponte. But somehow they got a lot of it right, and the magazine today is still pretty damned awesome – even if I replaced my sub with wired.com quite a while ago.

3. slice says:

QuikTrip!?!? Ain’t that right, Lamar?

I first started subscribing because I liked how the spines looked lined up on the bookshelf. I recently started up my sub again, which is weird, I guess, getting Wired in dead-tree form.

4. Julian Bond says:

Those were the days! Time magazine cyberpunk edition. Science Fiction Eye. Mondo 2000. alt.culture. Smart drugs, RetroHell. Never mind “Bring Back Retro-Futurism”, bring back the early 90s.

5. ESQ says:

Nice! I’ve got about six copies of this issue thanks to Trip Hawkins being featured in this issue during my tenure at 3DO… =)

6. MrScience says:

Great review. I still remember coming across v1.1 in the rural town of Roseburg, Oregon, sitting on a grocery magazine rack. I was blown away… everything about it was fresh, from the typography to the fact that you could publish articles about hacking cell phones in a mainstream publication. Like others here, I still have my copy.

7. ernie says:

Man, break out the Mondo 2000s and bOING bOING!

8. Stefan Jones says:

I was manning a booth at the CES where WIRED had its second premiere (they were at an Apple conference the week before). We asked for and got a “dump” to give out copies of issue 1.1.

It was pretty darn mind blowing at the time. I grabbed about a dozen copies. I left some in the airplane magazine rack on the way home, some I mailed to friends.

I still have maybe a half-dozen copies, some still sealed in plastic.

9. Outtacontext says:

Ahh, Mondo 2000.

I have a “first edition” of Wired. Also have the very first MacWorld.