Bongkun Shin’s “SmartGuide” Drill Concept

smart_drill.jpg

Eschewing the form-over-function tendency of most concept designs, Bongkun Shin’s “SmartGuide” drill features a nesting, retracting guide that ensures perfectly perpendicular holes. While there are certainly times when the guide would get in the way, a simple clip to keep the guide out of the way would be enough to make this useful in all situations. I wouldn’t be surprised to see this on a retail product at some point in the near future.

Training Wheels For Your Drill [Yanko Design]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Bongkun Shin’s “SmartGuide” Drill Concept

1. pork musket says:

Most cordless drills available now have a vertical and horizontal bubble level on the back and the handle. Cool idea, but I agree that it would slow things down too much as #1 points out.

2. toxonix says:

FAIL.
    The design student who ‘invented’ this virtual product has probably never used a drill. And it looks like it was designed by Apple in California (but made in china).
    If I was teaching an industrial design class, I’d fail anyone who bites an apple design.

3. Lydia9 says:

There are plenty of styles of drill guides on the market, including some similar to this (check out Rocklers)but none of them beat a steady hand.

When I worked as a carpenter we had these around, but seldom used them; guides that rest on your project slip and scuff, or require anchoring, and they prevent you from being able to really see what you’re doing, clear plastic or no.

An experienced tool handler should be able to feel if the drill is level, in trusting a gizmo you run the risk of drilling through your whole project before seeing your mistake. If you really really need a perfectly straight bore, use a drill press, which is actually the right tool for that kind of thing.

4. Mister Staal says:

Agreed. After a while you just get a feel for “close enough”. Or, get a couple cheap stick on levels and put them on important axis’ of your drill.

5. Lydia9 says:

Oh, and I forgot to say that I wish more things looked like phasers, and I’d totally incorporate this into my Halloween costume. I still think it blows as a tool. On further inspection, the handle is in the wrong place as well. Unless it’s got a really heavy bit and a really light engine, this is going to be hard to use.

6. pork musket says:

@4 – How is this at all like an Apple product? You call it a “virtual product” and then say it looks like it was “made in China”? I think you are the one who would fail the design class, even if you were teaching it.