Video: Polaroid SX-70 Commercial by Charles and Ray Eames x The Cramps

Here’s a bizarre intersection of a certain subset of my friends and our interests: a retro commercial filmed by Charles and Ray Eames for the Polaroid SX-70, set by an unknown genius to The Cramps “Garbageman.” (I’m in there for everything but The Cramps, but I’m coming around to them, too.)

The SX-70 was a folding SLR and the first to use Polaroid’s automatic format integral film, which didn’t need to be separated from its back after being removed from the camera.

A later model of the SX-70 line used an autofocus system that used sonar to determine the distance from the lens to the subject.

[via Kottke]

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Video: Polaroid SX-70 Commercial by Charles and Ray Eames x The Cramps

1. Gilbert Wham says:

I have to say, that camera is a beautiful object. Also, in the brown leatherette & chrome trim, it also matches my hip-flask perfectly…

2. Gilbert Wham says:

I have to say, that camera is a beautiful object. Also, in the brown leatherette & chrome trim, it matches my hip-flask perfectly…

3. Jake0748 says:

Very cool. One of the better jobs I’ve seen in explaining how this bad boy works. I loved these cameras, and all Polaroid instant cameras (I’ve owned about 15 of them). I was so sad the other day that Polaroid is quitting production of all instant film. Get it while you can.

“We aim to re-start production of analog INTEGRAL FILM for vintage Polaroid cameras in 2010. We have acquired Polaroid’s old equipment, factory and seek your support.”

from here:

5. Fnarf says:

Fuji already produces the bulk of instant pack film (the peel-apart kind), and theirs is better than Polaroid’s. The stuff that’s going to be missed is the integral kind, for Spectra and 600 cameras (successors to this SX-70). No word yet on a replacement provider, which is what has people worried and hoarding the stuff.

That was fantastic — a little like a Lewis Carroll-Roland Barthes lovechild.

7. Patrick Austin says:

Beautiful ad. It has a vaguely Apple-like quality to it, especially with the music. Very “Here is our shiny, gorgeous gadget. Look how easy it is to use. And pretty. Always pretty.”

Sad to see ‘em go, but if people were buying the film they’d keep producing it. I’m sure some niche company will start producing the film for the large-but-still-niche market.

8. velocity girl says:

I have one of these, it was my Dad’s. I always thought it was lovely looking, which is why I have it sitting (open) on my dresser in my bedroom.

I always thought I’d would get some film and actually use it someday, instead of just appreciating it as a decorative object. This awesome video makes me want to use it even more…very cool. I guess I’d better get my hands on some film ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up!