Video: Tex Avery’s Television of Tomorrow (1953)

Cartoon genius Tex Avery produced this short in 1953, showing off TVs for smokers, water drinkers, and those afflicted by airplanes overhead. The integration of real footage with the cartoon is fantastic. (I love that the fishing set was actually replicated by SEGA in the ’90s in an arcade game, complete with working reel.) [via io9]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Video: Tex Avery’s Television of Tomorrow (1953)

1. LSK says:

This is quite a clever short. I love the rapid pace of increasing absurdities; that’s something you don’t see anymore except in Mad, a magazine that stays true to its heritage.

2. Lester says:

Avery also made “Television of Tomorrow” too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bBpDNRP5qQ

“These new bumpers were built with pedestrians in mind…just let ‘em try and get away.
    …This same model has glass bottom, so that you when you hit a pedestrian, you can look down and see if he was a friend of yours…”

3. justONEguy says:

A television for people who drink water. Hilarious.

4. JDspeeder1 says:

Don’t forget the Farm of Tomorrow:

Genetic engineering gone mad!!!!!

5. Sorcerer Mickey says:

I love the Paul Frees narration!

6. dunnright says:

TV of tomorrow, Car of tomorrow, House of tomorrow…
    All great! And I think each had at least one Mother-In-Law joke.

7. dunnright says:

TV of tomorrow, Car of tomorrow, House of tomorrow…
    All great! And I think each had at least one Mother-In-Law joke.

The house of tomorrow will be built around the computer

The shooting of the bossy friend in the head at close range kinda wigged me out. But I’ve always loved the scoring of those old cartoons, and this one was typically clever. Very, very cool overall.

10. Ryan Waddell says:

I *swear* I saw that cartoon as a kid in the 80’s. I distinctly remember the “variety of programming” joke. Man, Tex Avery is awesome.

• Joel Johnson says:

I remember it as a kid from the ’80s, too. They ran a lot of Tex Avery to fill in slots between Captain Power and The Snorkels.

11. chus3r says:

In 55 years since this was done we still can’t find anything to watch on TV. We have the one simple control TV, it’s all buried in the menus. Did you notice the many of the sets were widescreen?

Also interesting is that content was custom to the user. That the user would be in such control of the content that the delivery mechanism was customized. Tex is a bit of a visionary. Great find, hadn’t seen this in years!

12. misterchinaski says:

that one tv had boobs!!

13. starcadia says:

I also remember seeing this two or three times as a kid. It’s even more awesome as an adult. Well, okay, it’s a different type of awesome now.

14. Daemon says:

I actually remember this one from when i was a kid. Now that I think about it, there was an awfull lot of “home of tomorrow” type cartoons.

15. beefandbones says:

I think Paul Westerberg goes to that same barber.

In 1953, they knew business peoples will play Wii and PS3 in their offices, and that Casinos will loose the classical one-handed bandits for video-poker… Couldn’t quite predict the computer implementation, but that’s IBM’s CEO fault to predict in approximately that year that there is a world market for probably 5 computers, though. ;-)

17. TheFool says:

“The home of tomorrow will be *built around* the TV set…”

100% true, sadly.

18. Lester says:

I’d forgotten the House of Tomorrow, thanks…

19. teflon says:

Funny how nearly every mocking example has come true in some form or another.

20. krylon says:

@ Sorcerer Monkey:

Why Mr. Frees’ voice was so familiar was driving me nuts, until IMDB revealed that it’s the same voice as the ghost host in Disneyworld’s haunted mansion!!!

That would have driven me nuts for weeks!