Heat-Sensitive Hot/Cold Mug

hotandcold.jpg

Charles & Marie are taking pre-orders for the successor to their heat-sensitive “On/Off” mug—this one goes from “Cold” to “Hot” when you add something, you know, hot. Still very pricey at $25, but apparently they sold out of the last ones, so I may not know the going rate for a fancy mug.

They do say that this mug is dishwasher safe, which is good. (I had related my previous experience with heat-sensitive mugs being somewhat fragile in the wash.)

Catalog Page [CharlesAndMarie.com]

PreviouslyHeat-Sensitive ON/OFF Coffee Mug [BBG]

This entry was posted in mug and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Heat-Sensitive Hot/Cold Mug

1. michaelportent says:

Do want! Seriously, is there anything more annoying than getting distracted at work and going back to a lukewarm sip of coffee from your standard mug? At least this way, I’d have a warning. =P

I’m guessing that this is aimed at retirement-aged prostitutes.

3. Scuba SM says:

I think if I bought one of these, I’d sit down with a pair of thermometers, a notebook, this mug, a plain ceramic mug, and a stopwatch. I’d want to see if this coating affected the rate at which the drink loses heat (most likely not) and at what temperature the change takes place. Then I could use the mug to tell me when I should start chugging the tea so I can make a fresh mug.

4. Jason says:

I remember when I saw my first mug like this. I believe I was the late 70s. I spent a lot of time pouring hot water into it, watching it change, emptying it and them putting it in the freezer to cool it down.

Took a long time for someone to decide having the mug change from a car to a boat isn’t as cool as “Hot” and “Cold”

The washing machine killed it. I hope these are more sturdy.

5. Gary61 says:

“That’s hot.”

“Nope – now it’s cold.”

Cantcha just imagine Paris Hilton playing with one of these?
    For hour after hour?
    And still not getting it?

6. mdhatter says:

My “Disappearing Civil Liberties” mug (where the 1st, 4th, etc amendments disappear when in hot water) didn’t survive a trip through the dishwasher.

They all washed off eventually, though that may also have been the fault of the 2004 elections.