Is This Rubbish Bin a Suicide Machine?

killerBin.jpg

Image: Screengrab from Goldcoast.com.au

An Australian man took his own life on the 18th by arming a “robot” with a .22 pistol, standing in front of it, and prompting it to fire. Which is, of course, a rather ingenious if overwrought way of taking one’s own life.

I’m curious to figure out what exactly this “robot” was, though. The local Gold Coast Bulletin newspaper said that the man had downloaded plans off the internet, but a cursory Googling isn’t bringing up anything. The footage from which the above still was captured lingers over the rubbish bin in the man’s driveway for quite a while, but I can’t be sure if the bin served as the housing for the mechanism or if they just didn’t have anything better to film.

Anyone know where to find these plans? I’d like to check them out. Call me morbid, but I think that a man ending his life at the hands of his own device has a certain respectability; at the same time, I’m curious as to why he’d go through all the trouble when just a gun to the temple would do.

Man shot by killer robot [Goldcoast.com.au] (Thanks, Rossignol!)

This entry was posted in guns, suicide, weapons and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Is This Rubbish Bin a Suicide Machine?

1. baby4mommy says:

I had a friend who jumped off a six story building. It never occurred to him that he would survive but he lived. They did have to amputate both legs though. Jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge is statistically almost guaranteed to result in death but even 1% of jumpers survive, although often with serious injury.

2. pork musket says:

He’s obviously an engineer – no single point of failure.

I also suggest wiring the robot to the alarm clock from the other post. That’ll wake your ass up.

As for why, I understand that sometimes shooting your self in the head is not fatal. You may just wind up paralyzed and unable to talk or something fun like that.

As for the robot, it is hard to say. The simplest thing to do would just be hook up something to keep pulling the trigger, but that would hardly qualify as a robot.

4. rAMPANTiDIOCY says:

yeah, being that this was a .22, the old bastard probably wouldn’t have enough energy to fire multiple shots into his own head – a task necessary for certain death to that weapon

5. Andreas says:

The Daily Mail article mentions plans for a device that used an R/C car to fire a toy gun.

I wonder how close to the article’s illustration the result was…

6. ethanol says:

Wait. You’re saying he built this robot for the express purpose of killing him? That’s kind of unusual. Normally, a killer robot is supposed to turn on you, so you can gasp out “No… no… I created you!!” with your last breath.

As for the rubbish bin, I don’t know if that’s the robot or not, but if it is, then I certainly hope he programmed it to say “EX TER MIN ATE”. Leave that bit out, the job’s only half done.

7. wurp says:

I am not an expert, but I believe that if you want to kill yourself rather than subject yourself, your loved ones and/or the government to an interminable half-life, you shouldn’t shoot yourself in the temple.

You are far better off to shoot yourself in the back of the head, by aiming slightly up through the mouth. Destroying frontal lobes may just make you a vegetable; destroying the cerebellum/brainstem stops the heart, lungs, etc.

8. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Shooting yourself in the temple is bad, and using a glorified cap-gun is worse. I had a relative who made both mistakes. The bullet went in one temple and out the other, taking out his optic nerves along the way. He woke up with the same set of problems as before, only now he was blind for the rest of his life.

The movies lie. Suicide isn’t quick, tidy, and guaranteed to be successful. A lot of people who try it just fck themselves up for good.

Any Preacher fans here?

9. the boy says:

@ #10 – egahd, Aresface from Preacher is the absolute best reason to never use a gun for suicide

10. Frank_in_Virginia says:

We can only hope he didn’t modify the cute puppy’s ball throwing machine for the deed.

11. Frank_in_Virginia says:

“I thought I heard three shots and when we ran next door he was lying on the driveway with gunshot wounds to the head, and he had put the wheelie bin in front of himself,” he said.

Mr Skewes said a .22 semi-automatic handgun was in a box next to his body and ‘the whole thing looked very strange’. There had been four bullets in the handgun. ”

12. Frank_in_Virginia says:

In a move that will piss off robots, the ‘Daily Mail’ calls it a “gun-toting robot”