Retro Retail: St. Paul’s Raymond Commodore Amiga

raymond_commodore.jpg

Happy Mutant Bryan Day took a trip to Raymond Commodore Amiga, a store in St. Paul that specializes in only one very specific line of computing products. Bryan shot this gallery of the store’s charmingly cluttered beige interior.

Raymond Commodore Amiga Photoset [Flickr]

Below is a sponsored widget from Microsoft.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Retro Retail: St. Paul’s Raymond Commodore Amiga

1. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Z80s and 6502s rule! CPM, S100 and all that. You think Pong is retro? How about Wumpus, hand coded in Machine Language (not Assembler)? I was building and programming ‘micros’ in the late ’70s and wish I had kept my KIM-1 and OSI Superboard II. I do still have a… what is that thing?… Cromemco something or other holding up a shelf of vacuum tubes in the basement. Time to drag that out and add it to some teenager’s collection.

2. Jai says:

Funny, you live in St. Paul, but you never go to these places till bloggers come over. I feel like stopping by there just for a look-se.

3. styrofoam says:

That’s an awfully shiny rainbow apple to have ever graced an amiga.

But count me in the same “local but never new it” camp.

I love the nearly organic accumulation of parts and computers evident in the photos. A time-lapse of the build-up of that inventory would be incredible.

I wonder if they would want my old Amiga 1000?

And.. I also can’t help but speculate as to the motivation for hanging on to this market. I hope it works for him, though! It’s really cool to see. I absolutely loved my Amigas, but am hopelessly unsentimental most of the time and have moved on. I had a 1000, 2000, then 3000. By the time the 4000 came out, their price/performance ratio had hit rock bottom. I still say the Amiga was the last computer that was fun to just use.

5. strider_mt2k says:

Good old Commodore stuff.

Back when I hung out at a computer shop it wasn’t unusual for the proprietor to yank a “prop” C64 off the wall to sell to someone.

After a while he just put nails there to set them since invariably SOMEONE would come along looking for one and it was just easier that way.

True story.

6. daede says:

Man, my first computer was a Commodore 64, and my second was an Amiga 500.

I’d love to check this place out, if it weren’t a bertrillion miles away.

This looks like one of those “hoarder” houses that you see photos of on the news. I get into cool vintage machines as much as the next computer engineer, but man, what a dump.

8. Eloine says:

I believe the shop sustains itself through a combination of local neighborhood computer repairs (PC, Mac, and just about anything else) and custom repair jobs of Commodore computers and peripherals he receives by mail.

9. Jack says:

What impresses me most about this is that someone in America can have such an esoteric vocation and yet retain a physical “brick and mortar” storefront. That’s admirable and great!