Activate Water shows what a harmful scam most bottled beverages really are

activate_water.jpg

“Activate” is a new line of sports beverages that store the powdered “vitamins and herbs” in the cap. Twist the top and a small plastic blade cuts the seal, opening an armature that allows the ingredients to fall into the water. The conceit is that the vitamins will say at “maximum potency” since they are not deteriorating in water.

It’s clever…for showing what a rip-off most sports drinks are. You’re paying two dollars or more for a tiny little pouch of flavor powder — new-age Kool-Aid — that could be more inexpensively distributed in bulk. Instead, they’re using extra plastic to build a mechanism that could be just as easily replaced by a tub of powder and a spoon. Or if beveraging on the go is your main priority: tiny, dissolving gelatin packets.

At least with a proper soft drink you’re getting carbonation. (The occasional can of Coca-Cola and Welches’ Grape are one of my favorite little indulgences.)

Product Page [ActivateDrinks.com]

PreviouslyTwist Cap Releases Instant Tea [BBG]

This entry was posted in Consumption, plastic and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Activate Water shows what a harmful scam most bottled beverages really are

1. eevee says:

Enochrewt@4

Gatorade doesn’t need to be stored cold. It’s served cold because it tastes better cold. So, energy-wise, he’s paying the cost of cooling the drink down either way.

Next point, while I agree about the non-degrading part, I don’t see any viable low-cost, low-weight alternative for commercial sales.

As for your last point–several things. First off, it may not be lack of planning but rather circumstances that means the homemixed gatorade isn’t a viable choice. For example, I wouldn’t tote bulk gatorade around on a business trip on the off chance I’d have free time for some prolonged exersize. Secondly, sometimes spontaneity is a good thing. I’ve been on bike rides where my planned 30 minute trip has turned into a hour one-way; if I didn’t stop and buy a bottle, I’d hit the wall before I was halfway home.

To all of you bottled water haters, apparently none of you have seen this story, have you?

now, mind you most bottled waters aren’t any better for you but some of them are – i accept the fact that our city water has horrible things in it and that’s why i drink bottled, but you don’t have to create all the waste you guys are talking about – you can re-use bottles by filling them from a larger jug, etc.

3. shanefer says:

How is this a gadget?

4. Enochrewt says:

#2: Everything you listed is what’s wrong with today’s wasteful society.

*Unnecessary waste of electricity when the powder could be stored without it.
    *Great, a disposable bottle that will almost never decompose. How convienent
    *Your third point is the worst in my book. “Wow, I didn’t think ahead to what I may need for my day! I’ll just waste resources to make up for my lack of foresight!”

It’s people like you that actually think the new arrowhead eco-bottles are actually a good idea. For shame.

5. kerry says:

One huge benefit of buying Gatorade in powder form is that you get it made with sugar, not high-fructose corn syrup. It tastes better and doesn’t screw up your pancreas. Also, I like my drinks a bit tart, so I use about half as much of the powder as recommended. Fewer calories, not as sweet.
    I can buy giant tubs of powdered Gatorade at my local vitamin store for about $10. Much, much cheaper than buying a dozen gallons of the stuff pre-bottled.

@Anon (#2), I do not know of a single $6 coffee drink at Starbucks. Even the largest Latte is around $3. Using your reasoning, it’s an even better deal than your precious Gatorade.

[But it's not a good deal, when making one at home is so much cheaper!]

7. Chevan says:

>@Anon (#2), I do not know of a single $6 coffee drink at Starbucks. Even the largest Latte is around $3.

You might want to take another look at the board then, because you can easily spent more than $4 on a single drink. I know because I’ve done it on multiple occasions.

$6 seems a bit exaggerated, but not as outrageously so as you’re making it out to be.

8. All Jelly No Toast says:

Depending on the region, starbucks prices differ. I’d bet that in nyc a Venti White Mocha Frappuccino is six bucks… and about 900 calories.

9. Hoopy Frood says:

I completely agree, Joel. This whole bottled water phenomenon is getting completely out of hand. I heard on the radio today that 1/7th of the amount of money spent by Americans on bottled water is all that is needed to completely eradicate malaria-related deaths in Africa. How’s that for a perspective?

Over the last few months, I have read way too many reports/articles that have convinced me that bottled water is a Really Bad (TM) idea, what with its environmental impact, not to mention the financial stupidity. I’m doing my part by not drinking bottled water in any form — regular or these stupid sports drinks.

10. tomic says:

From this, you extrapolate that U.S. drinking water is all contaminated?

The United States has close to the best drinking water on the planet. There are federal, state, and local standards; hardcore nerds run water systems in most cities. Los Angeles has excellent water; we get a printed, detailed report showing *measured* contents.

Certainly there are contaminated water supplies in the mix. I doubt it’s even 1% of the total. ANd the industries that are sellign you their bottled water are as likely owned by the creators of toxic ground water plumes.

There are no real regulations on the contents of bottled water; “spring water” means as much as “green tech” — nothing. Some are good, and some, like Fiji Water, and environmental and social disasters. RTFM.

People watch too much dimwit TV and look at too many dimwit blogs. YOu mindlessly repeating “municipal water system is polluted” crap is doing corporate america’s work for them. I’ve had nincompoops here in LA tell me “I dont give tap water to my dogs, I filter it”.

We’re drowning in mis-information, some of it cynically generated, much of it propagated by people too lazy, or unknowledgable, to check on it. Media is terrible at this sort of questioning.

YOu really can determine what’s in your local water supply. Big cities are easy to check on; small towns might be tough or impossible, and I’m sure there are some places that are corrupt or incompetent.

But the US water system is spectacularly well done. It’s another one of those civil systems that gets lumped into “the guvamint is bad, OK?” things. USPS, libraries, printing office, municipal water, roads, … those things are generally excellent here, you spoiled fool.

I buy bottled water too, like on the road, and sometimes I’m just too lazy to re-fill a bottle to keep in the car on trips.

And sometimes it’s just pleasant to drink bubbly stuff like Calistoga or Gerolsteiner… hey, enjoy, just don’t mindlessly parrot corporate propaganda, and enjoy and support the GOOD and USEFUL stuff this government does in a few places, still, (and don’t let up on criticizing/fighting the bad stuff).

11. tomic says:

“One huge benefit of buying Gatorade in powder form is that you get it made with sugar, ” — KERRY

Ooh, kool! Good point! Corn syrup doesn’t powder like sugar does… that’s an excellent filter for that… :-)

“You’re paying two dollars or more for a tiny little pouch of flavor powder — new-age Kool-Aid — that could be more inexpensively distributed in bulk.”

Hmmm. Not really.

You can purchase Gatorade, for example, in bulk powder form.

When I purchase Gatorade by the bottle in a store, what I am purchasing is the following:

* The electricity used to chill my drink
    * The handy carrying case (plastic bottle which prevents spillage)
    * The convenience of being able to purchase Gatorade while not at home where I store my bulk Gatorade.

All in all, not a bad deal for two measly bucks.

Of course, I could instead drink a $6 latte from Starbucks, bit I hate being ripped off.

13. kattw says:

This reminds me a bit of Ramune, a Japanese super-sweet carbonated beverage where you have to push a little marble through the top to open it.

It’s also worth noting that vitamins (and ANY chemical) do degrade in solid form… the only advantage of solid over liquid is that theoretically, other materials that will react with the compound of interest won’t be able to get at it so easily. But standard, half-life style decomposition happens regardless of solvation or not.

14. Cupcake says:

I’m not sure if Anon read the article – it says right in there that many bottlers simply repackage tap water, and they typically do not test for the very contaminants that fear-mongering article is discussing.

Nobody is saying tap water is pristine, but I think it’s been reliably shown that bottled water isn’t any better in most cases.