Mansinthe: Marilyn Manson endorsed absinthe

mansinthe.jpg

I am an appreciative consumer of alcohol endorsed by rock musicians. I lost my virginity to a freaky girlfriend wooed into the folly of sleeping with me by goblets full of KISS-brand wine (or, perhaps more likely, the engorged, 14-inch long protrusion of Gene Simmons’ tongue prominently displayed on the label). I also like absinthe — not for the taste, which is fermented Listerine, but for the pretentiousness: the ornate louching rituals, the vague idea of opium-scented absinthe parlors, fluffy cravats and decadent poets tormented by wormwood-induced spectres.

So I would think I would be all for Marilyn Manson’s new absinthe, called Mansinthe. I’m not. Oh, yes, at $56 a bottle, it’s not direly expensive, which is a plus. And as a product between Manson, Absinthe.de and Matter-Luginb├╝hl AG, it should, at least, be just as drinkable as any absinthe. More, probably: it’s won the gold medal at the 2008 San Francisco World Spirits Competition. Heck, it even has a pretty incredible bottle.

But ultimately, it’s the name. Mansinthe. This is the exact name of the house specialty at a strange underground absinthe bar I was dragged to in San Francisco’s Castro district a few years back. You don’t even want to know how they louched it.

Mansinthe [Absinthe.de via Uncrate]

This entry was posted in Consumption. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Mansinthe: Marilyn Manson endorsed absinthe

1. Guinness74 says:

That is gross! As one who has louched his share of absinthe, that last line about the Castro district is disgusting. Appropriate analogy though it may be.

Regardless, I love the pomp and circumstance of an absinthe and I’m turned off by the name. Seems frightfully unoriginal for someone who’s spent so much time trying to be outside the mainstream.

2. strider_mt2k says:

(breaks from the crowd)

IT MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER!
    IT MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER!
    IT MAMMFFF MM MFFFF mmmffff

(dragged out by security)

3. monstruoso says:

Is it a “Bro” or a “Manseer”?

4. michaelportent says:

You’d think Manson would be interested in relaying the absinthe experience at a lower price for his confused-goth-kid-in-high-school audience. But I guess Manson is reaching out for that niche, high-brow absinthe-drinking market.

Good luck with a name like Mansinthe…

5. License Farm says:

I love absinthe for neither the taste nor the trappings, but for the bubble of bliss and the perception of light in everything it brings. Therefore, I think my primary equation is (price) : (efficacy) with a secondary consideration that it won’t taste like it was louched through a jockstrap.

6. jonathanpeterson says:

could be the funniest post in the history of BoingBoing

7. hemidemisemiquaver says:

I agree that this is a pretty funny post. Absinthe is at least as gross as that fake moonshine they sell in mason jars. Although the label’s pretty cool and seems to evoke Ralph Steadman, the overall bottle design looks a lot like Boone’s Farm.

8. Narual says:

I think I’ll stick with Lucid. Price is about the same, it’s made by a source respected for fine wines and spirits, and it has a much, much cooler bottle.