Linkswap: RockPaperShotgun

rps1.jpgRockPaperShotgun, as our most respected gaming blog by far, deserves more than the occasional misappropriation of its work, sandwiched between a link and a quip. Accordingly, we’re formalizing the creative incest and will regularly swap headlines on a wholesale basis.

Seriously, these guys rule. Even if you’re not interested in games (who are you kidding?), they’re smart, insouciant and dedicated to the craft. Read on for the links.Why I Still Play Stalker
Stalker’s eastern promise is hard to accept with open arms, at least when you read descriptions and scan screenshots. Wander around a bleak, irradiated Ukranian heath in search of your destiny? Sounds like a blast, doesn’t it? To play it, however, is to feel it: an unforgiving landscape filled with dangerous mutants, industrial ruins and a shimmering, mystical gloom. Jim Rossignol gets it.

Duke Nukem Not Never
Alec Meer jogs around the block for that eternal never-ran, Duke Nukem Forever. Commenting on Shacknews’ own sneak peak, he delivers optimism balanced by a snappy kick in the nuts: for this concept-character, slowly sinking into cultural irrelevance as gaming matures, what else can be done?

Final Crysis
Crysis didn’t bomb – in fact, it was a huge suceess. The problem, according to the creators, is that almost no-one paid for it. They’re leaving PC exclusivity behind as a result, cursing the pirates as they go. Meer muses on the recurring passing-of-the-baton from one cutting-edge PC developer to the next.

Mount & Blade: The Next Steppes
Kieron Gillen exhorts you to check in with the best RPG you’ve never played. A sandbox game with incredible combat and a lot of rough edges, it’s hard to describe, so I’ll leave it to Kieron: “It’s … what the RPG would be like if the genre was created by people who’d only had a game of D&D described to them rather than ever playing it.”

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Linkswap: RockPaperShotgun

And his name is Knox Harrington.

2. KieronGillen says:

Dunno about Rob, but we’re a lot like Margaret Atwood if Margaret Atwood was drunk all the time.

KG

3. proto says:

Well, ok, so I tried it. It was a beautiful, mild spring afternoon. I grabbed my old Sony Vaio laptop, borrowed a beret from my accross-the-hall neighbor (hat person), and sauntered down to the local sidewalk bistro to settle in for some gaming.

No sooner had I connected to an open WiFi and fired up my favorite MMORPG than a man came sauntering down the sidewalk. His exuded a personal quality expressive of lighthearted unconcern. In his hand, he had an Asus Eee PC, on his head, a beret.

He flopped into a seat at the next table, beret askew, legs akimbo, place-setting asunder — the very image of blithe indifference.

With a nonchalant air I said “I don’t like your more-insouciant-than-thou attitude.”

He said “I don’t care.”

Damn!

4. proto says:

“insouciant”?

What, do they game from some sidewalk bistro while wearing matching berets?

5. Jake0748 says:

Proto – In my mind that guy has a thin little mustache, has one raised eyebrow and speaks with a French accent.

6. Rob Beschizza says:

My man, that’s exactly what they do.

7. Waelwulf says:

Oh thank the Lords I can finally replace Kotaku. Thank you Rob, thank you for this gift.

8. etho says:

I wouldn’t give up Kotaku just yet. RPS is great, but they are strictly PC, so if you want any console coverage, you’re out of luck.

But RPS is great. They ran a series about the Russian game Pathologic, that was one of the best things I’ve ever read.

9. Jake0748 says:

I’m sorry, I’m totally off topic, but insouciant is one of my favorite words of all time. My favorite definition is “blithely indifferent”. I have always aspired to insouciance, but alas, I fear I’ll never really have it.

Oh, who cares…

10. Jake0748 says:

Besides, their berets don’t HAVE to match.

11. proto says:

Margaret Atwood, called. She wants her vocabulary back.