Work while working out with the TrekDesk

trekdeskball.jpg

The exercise-while-desk-jockeying initiative is a valiant idea for a sedentary age, but despite assertions to the contrary by the companies selling gizmos, it’s actually harder to concentrate on that spreadsheet when your heart rate has popped your eyeballs out of their sockets and a miasma of your own foul drippings has turned your screen jaundice-color. There is a reason why physicists don’t crack superstring theory when in the middle of a series of hundred kilo clean-and-jerks: it’s pretty hard to pay attention when you’re about to puke out your heart.

Nevertheless, TrekDesk is selling an adjustable desk add-on for your treadmill which they claim will increase concentration and productivity. No, it jolly well won’t, but it’s a valiant effort, and I like their bouncing chair accessory. It’s an exercise ball attached to a seat, and TrekDesk claims it allows you to work on your core muscles while sitting, but upon seeing the pictures, I immediately thought: “Hmm. Bouncing while working does sound like fun.” This is Boing Boing, after all.

TrekDesk will be available in Q3 this year, price undetermined.

Trek Desk [Official Site via Oh Gizmo! via Uberreview]

This entry was posted in exercise, Furniture and Lighting, trekdesk. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Work while working out with the TrekDesk

1. stratosfyr says:

I used an exercise ball — a big one — as a chair for a while. Mainly because it was $9.99 and the chair I wanted was like $199.99. It wasn’t bad. Definitely better than just using a cheap chair. Bouncy. Easy on the bum. Vaguely dangerous.

I use a big yoga ball for a desk chair. Compared to my brother’s swopper, I don’t really see a difference… except the ball cost me $10.

Treadputers are shown to improve productivity, and are gaining in popularity. The things I don’t get, above are a) putting a ball in a base negates the usefulness of it (might as well be a well-padded chair) and b) sitting in a chair on a treadmill appears to negate *its’* usefulness . . .

3. surfgal says:

Gotta tell you this thing rocks…atleast compared to mine, and I LOVE my treadmill desk. You will concentrate better, your blood is flowing. It is funny that we think this is a novel idea. Walking and working. Our species did just that until about 100 years ago. I visited the TrekDesk site at http://www.trekdesk.com and have to admit I never knew there were so many health conditions that could be eradicated if we all just started moving through our day by walking. I am a convert and I like the chair idea too especially the way it swings away when you don’t need it.

4. James T Savidge says:

Hummmm… What if you turned the ball chair into a giant trackball? A new kind of fun at work or when gaming. ;-)

5. John Brownlee says:

James: genius!

6. James T Savidge says:

John: My wife didn’t marry me for my looks. ;-)

7. Brian Carnell says:

“The exercise-while-desk-jockeying initiative is a valiant idea for a sedentary age, but despite assertions to the contrary by the companies selling gizmos, it’s actually harder to concentrate on that spreadsheet when your heart rate has popped your eyeballs out of their sockets and a miasma of your own foul drippings has turned your screen jaundice-color.”

Riight, because you can’t set a treadmill for a slow speed….

Personally, as someone who likes to pace back and forth when I’m working, these sound awesome. I just can’t imagine the market for this is very big.

The bouncing ball, however, is lame.

8. James T Savidge says:

“‘Hmm. Bouncing while working does sound like fun.’ This is Boing Boing, after all.”

You might consider getting a Swopper chair. I’ve had one for a few years and have found that the freedom of movement and bouncing does have some advantages for my posture. [And it is fun to see my co-workers reactions to the chair. ;-) ]

Swopper search on Google.