Dave’s Adjustable Hot Sauce lets you dial in the pain

daves-adjustable-hot-sauce.jpg

Inside “Dave’s Adjustable Hot Sauce” bottle are two chambers, one filled with scorching hot sauce fit only for braggarts and masochists, while the other holds a mixture barely hot enough to merit the name. Click the dial at the top to select your preferred place on the Scoville scale and then give it a press; the commingled sauce will spray out like mace all over your Mexican breakfast.

Inspired, I’ve created a similar product for French fries that allows you to select your preferred mixture of malt vinegar and mayonnaise. I’ll release it once I figure out how to aerosolize mayonnaise, after which I’ll replace the malt vinegar with more mayonnaise.

It’s $10, plus shipping.

Catalog Page [DavesGourmet.Peachhost.com via Uncrate via Thrillist]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Dave’s Adjustable Hot Sauce lets you dial in the pain

1. Halloween Jack says:

VINCENT
    But you know what they put on french fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

JULES
    What?

VINCENT
    Mayonnaise.

JULES
    Goddamn!

VINCENT
    I seen ‘em do it. And I don’t mean
    a little bit on the side of the
    plate, they fuckin’ drown ‘em in it.

2. pork musket says:

Such a simple and awesome idea – the soul of a good gadget.

To aerosolize mayonnaise, try using a nitrous oxide based cream whipper thingy (the old sort where you put the cream in the bottle, and screw the nitrous bulb into it). Nitrous dissolves in fat quite well, which is why it works with cream so well. Fancy chefs have been doing this for a while with all manner of ingredients (think mashed potato)

4. Blind Zen Archer says:

Fantastic idea!

Except for the whole “mixing mayo and malt vinegar” thing. Malt Vinegar is the only thing that needs to go onto fresh, hot fries.

5. Jake0748 says:

It reminds me of an idea that Cosmo Kramer had for an invention (after the bladder system for oil tankers failed). Ketchup and mustard in the same bottle.

6. Robotech_Master says:

Sounds neat. I can’t help wondering, though, what happens when you use up all of one chamber but there’s still plenty of juice left in the other.

Might they sell individual sauce refills?

7. bazzargh says:

What we need are some bigger adjustable bottles, with Gin and Vermouth. Except without the Vermouth and the bottles.

8. tsdguy says:

I have this – it’s an novelty to say the least. However, the sauce isn’t very tasty. It seems to be some watery hot sauce in one section and some weak capsaisin extract in another.

(It’s also a spray bottle if that wasn’t obvious)

Now, what is more interesting is Dave’s Sampler Package with 8 different hot sauce mini bottle of all sorts of formulas. Plenty of choices to try a variety of sauces.

9. snagglepuss says:

Fergit hot SAUCES. I just take a handful of dried chiles, put ‘em through a spice grinder and store the powder in a stainless steel “Pill Bottle” (the kind with a rubber ‘O’ ring) that attaches to my keyring. No worries about any liquids going rancid or freezing in cold weather. Just unscrew the tube from the cap and heat up whatever’s on yer plate.

The only problems I’ve ever had are when nosy security drones refuse to take my word that “You Don’t Want To Breathe That Too Deeply”. They were warned……..

10. TedJohnson says:

tsdguy (#6),

I just got a sampler of Dave’s sauces a couple of days ago. I have a pretty high tolerance for hot sauce, but the Suicide Sauce definitely lived up to its name.

I’ve found that most hot sauce makers just create intimidating product names to give consumers a false sense of sauce machismo. This was the real thing. I was hurting for about 10 minutes from just a few drops.