Gallery of Grand Theft Auto 4 / New York City comparison shots

liberty-new-york-2.jpg
2481356497_96cb6fcea7.jpg
2482167760_569881bffe.jpg

Sightseeing in Liberty City is a fantastic Flickr gallery dedicated to contrasting locations from Grand Theft Auto 4 with their real-world NYC counterparts. The bottom image, for example, is a comparison between Brooklyn’s Paramount Theater and Liberty City’s Canyon Theater. I must buy this game already… damn German censorship laws.

Sightseeing in Liberty City [Flickr]

This entry was posted in rockstar. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Gallery of Grand Theft Auto 4 / New York City comparison shots

its actually the paramount building in times square not brooklyn. It is in their version of times square as well.

2. Enochrewt says:

I have to say, when you drive through Time Square in the game it’s jaw dropping as to how close it is.

Every time I see a new GTA, I wonder how they will outdo themselves on the next installment. I haven’t been dissapointed yet.

3. Todd Sieling says:

GTA isn’t my thing, but the renderings are really beautiful. For a guy who doesn’t like shoot-em-ups and wasn’t inspired by the violent nihilism of GTA 1-3, is this actually worth checking out? It seems like a cinematic achievement inside a video game. Any suggestions one way or the other?

• Joel Johnson says:

Todd: I think it’s a wonderful game that captures NYC like no other game before, but it *is* a shooter/action game, so if you don’t like that gameplay, you’ll probably tire of its repetitive missions quickly.

4. echolocate chocolate says:

Pity they’re not comparing photos in the same weather, season and time of day. I gather Rockstar had time-lapse cameras on buildings in NY so they could get the lighting right.

Maybe I am being too picky. :)

5. Blaine says:

As not an NYC native, grain of salt, but… I was surprised how familiar parts of Manhattan felt (we usually go to NYC once a year – only reason we’re not going this year is because of wedding/house buying financial crunch that leaves no room for a vacation).

In general it’s a caricature of the city, but still very cool to just drive around in.

6. mralistair says:

i love the idea that all this accuracy is being put together in the north half of edinburgh (v1.0 not the Indiana version).