Microwave vs. Compact Disk

Whole worlds in cracks of light.

The Microwaved CD [Wacky Archives via MAKE]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Art and Instruments. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Microwave vs. Compact Disk

1. Fnarf says:

Yeah, we did this 20+ years ago, too. Not as devastating as the egg, though.

2. Jake0748 says:

This is very cool. It reminds me of SOHO satellite images of the sun taken at weird wavelengths. Nevertheless, I want video.

3. SC_Wolf says:

And remember kids, running a microwave “dry” causes extra wear and tear on the emitter because all the engery is refected straight back at it. Put a mug of water in the back corner so that you have some moisture in the cooking chamber to absorb some of the microwaves.

4. windybt says:

i love how it’s an old AOL disk.

5. mdhatter says:

I did this, literally, 20 years ago.

Thanks Columbia House.

6. David Carroll says:

Hmm: Budget for next Flickr! video set:

1) 1 Genuine Vista media disk.

2) 1 Used microwave oven modified to work with door removed, and can be started by remote control.

3) Some microwave proof fibre optic cable so I can fill the chamber with pretty colours from various angles without putting any of my good lights in it.

4) A tempered glass shield for my camera(s).

5) Disposable interior panels so I don’t have to waste time cleaning the oven between takes.

6) Nose plugs and a fire extinguisher.

Two things I need to know:

How far away do I and my cameras need to be from a 1000W microwave oven running with the door open, and still have a reasonable expectation of umm “functioning” during the shoot and in the future? I am hoping that the inverse squared law will be my friend.

What other neat stuff can I film / destroy with this rig? I’m thinking American Idol CD’s, Catwoman and/or Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed DVDs, iPods, Zunes and wire-rim sunglasses. If I am feeling ambitious, building little flammable dioramas…

Perhaps I should just check: