Totem shower brings bathroom luxury to the … yard?

waterdesign_totem_rJX3g_1333.jpg

Who will buy Waterdesign’s Totem SHT FO 2000 outdoor shower system? It’s beautifully technological–with a price to match–so it’s not like it’s just going to get dunked in the dust outside improperly-equipped trailers. BornRich’s baroque description of it is just wonderful:

Designed to resemble a high-end art piece, the water station can be fitted with a sink, mirror, towel holder, shower accessories and customized taps to make your neighbors heart burn with all the envy Satan can possibly bestow upon his tortured soul. The iroko wood anti-slip footboard and footstall almost add insult to injury while you catch him peeping over the fence and trying to stare holes into the stainless steel beauty that lets you have hot and cold water on demand.

More details and shots turn up at Living With Style. If I was at the Pentagon, I’d order eighty.

The mystical and magical Waterdesign Totem Shower [Born Rich]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Furniture and Lighting. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Totem shower brings bathroom luxury to the … yard?

1. Chevan says:

>Designed to resemble a high-end art piece,
    Translation: It’s completely unusable in regular life, and we know it.

You could always put a wooden fence/box around it to provide some privacy, but blocking it off like that makes it no different than the countless outdoor showers already in existence; the novelty of owning a faux art piece is lost.

I’ve built or helped build several poor-man’s versions of this over the years for Pennsic. The most extreme outdoor showers I’ve seen were built by Pete (aka Pedro the Cruel) and Ron (aka Schist Head).

We had to make do with copper, brass and PVC for the most part, though… stainless was a bit out of our league… except Pete’s famous “Mr. Fusion” shower, which was based on a propane-fired stainless Sandia forge and required constant monitoring by a human operator to prevent the formation of live steam. Although it never quite happened, we all decided that nothing would ruin a nice shower like having your flesh blasted off your bones by live steam, and Mr. Fusion was retired after a single summer.

Ron’s “Fat Man” and Pete’s “Little Boy” were based on industrial heat exchangers, both propane-fired, and both used for many years. Fat Man was permanently mounted on a trailer and was propane-inefficient for use by less than a half-a-dozen people, so showers were once-a-day public nudity events that featured a shampooing conga line and lots of dancing and singing. The head end looked a lot like this job except it was all copper and brass on a wooden center post.

Little Boy was probably the best one ever built, and everyone cried bitter tears when the heat exchanger got left outside in the winter with water still in it… the bazillion tiny copper pipes that made up the heat exchanger split all to hell.

–Charlie

3. NeonCat says:

Well, you could put it outside your beach house, or you could be a wealthy exhibitionist, for instance.

I’m sure it’s for a very specialized clientèle, to paraphrase a Gahan Wilson cartoon I’m fond of.

4. doggo says:

You could build an interior bathroom around this. Imagine a biggish room with (your choice of color) tile on all four walls and ceiling, some light fixtures, a toilet alcove, a bench, a rack in the corner for towels and extra toiletries, big old drain in the middle of the floor. It could be very cool.

5. Enochrewt says:

How much is this thing? A brief glance at the website turned up no price.

I’m thinking the next place I’ll live will be an industrial space. Since these usually aren’t designed for living I’d have to install a shower. I could see using something like this to simplify the process.

6. geekd says:

I live in a beach neighborhood, and I’d say about half the houses have some sort of outside shower. Get the sand & salt off before you step inside, or rinse off your wet suit while it’s still on your body.

Now, none of them are nearly this nice. Just a spout on the side of the house.

7. ESQ says:

@GEEKD:

This shower takes all the fun, mystery, and surprise out of a ‘crunchy carpet’! I can’t say that I’d use it though, I prefer leaving a salty crust on my skin after a good surf…

8. Rob Beschizza says:

I swear I saw a price tag on this at about $4k, but I couldn’t see it at either of the sites I saw it at today.

9. ZippySpincycle says:

Looks like it was designed by Bloody Stupid Johnson

10. Paula Wirth says:

This sure looks like the Japanese shower I used in Tokyo, only with a bit more style. They had a tiled bathroom with a floor that slopes downward to the drain. No doubt this would also work well on a patio, right near a hot tub, right next to your perfect mansion.