IBM Model M pocket calculator

10-key-calculator-white-634.jpg

The 10 Key Calculator by Sam Hecht (so called even though it clearly has 23) lops off the number pad from an old IBM Model M and transforms it into a haptical delight: a pocket calculator with solid chunk as your fingers dance mathematical equations across its surface. Better: you can connect it to your Mac or PC to function as a USB-driven number pad. £45.00 seems a bit steep, but this looks like it would be a delight to use, even if I have no idea what a “mu” button does.

10 Key Calculator [Design Museum Shop]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to IBM Model M pocket calculator

1. knifie_sp00nie says:

Unless it has buckling-spring keys, it has no relation to the model M. I can forgive it if it doesn’t have the steel plate.

2. Simon Greenwood says:

If you press the ‘mu’ button twice, it invokes the KLF.

3. Jack says:

Hmmm. Not too sure about the Mac compatibility. The MoMA Store in NYC carries them and they explicitly state “Not MAC compatible”:

I’m pretty sure the “ten key” refers to the layout of the keys, not their quantity. It is commonly used on old adding machines and cash registers for blindingly fast touch typed nummeric data entry.

5. Dustin Driver says:

@zuzu: My grandfather had a CCCP-era red-LED calculator that did Polish notation. I remember him showing me how to use it when I was, oh, about 10. Wish I knew where it was now.

6. syllopsium says:

That’s not a Model M keyboard – looks more like a mac keyboard.

A Model M uses a different font and point size, with deeper keys and a different colour. Other than that it’s an exact match ;) .

7. strider_mt2k says:

I really like this!

It makes me wish I had an excuse to get one. :(

8. zuzu says:

For double the price of an actual Model M keyboard, does it at least do Reverse Polish Notation (RPN)?

9. azurefog says:

the MU button should be Memory Update – changes the value in the memory without having to delete it first…. but, IANAPCU (I Am Not A Pocket Calculator User).

10. royaltrux says:

Built in clock tells you what time is love.

11. airship says:

If you want a Reverse-Polish LED calculator, you need go no further than the dozens of models HP produced back in the day. They still bring a nice price on teh eBay.

12. Honad says:

I must have it.

If you want RPN (Reverse Polish Notation), all you need to do is buy one of the current offerings made by Hewlitt Packard. They have quite a few calculators that will do RPN and the more common Algebraic entry method. I currently own 4 HP calcs & I hate using anything else.

14. cycle23 says:

What? A piece of hardware not supported by MAC?!? UNREAL!!!!