HP Product of the Day: Quick Calc

wqwfqwfqwfqwfwqf.jpg

HP’s magnetic Quick Calc comes in pretty colors and I like it.

Press Release [HP]

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to HP Product of the Day: Quick Calc

1. bnt says:

Actually, HP still do make some RPN calculators, including the old 12c (Financial), 33s and 35s (scientific), and the bigger 50g (successor to the 48/49). I like RPN, but I’ve been seduced to the dark side by the full algebraic editing system on my Casio FX-570ES…

2. ike says:

Cute, and the data sheet says it’s magnetic, unfortunately, there no RPN. I still long for HP to bring back the HP 15c.

3. dacker says:

Oh-boy! A four-banger calculator with both a percent key AND memory!

This is the same functionality as my 1st calculator, a $40 Bomar Brain in 1974.

I love the industrial design, and at $5.99 (list), it’s not too expensive.  Of course, it also comes with HP’s:

Award-winning support
    · Get peace of mind with the one-year limited
    warranty
    · Get answers to product questions 24 x 7,
    toll-free, or via e-mail in as little time as an hour—at http://www.hp.com/go/totalcare

Yes, we all need to call tech support from time-to-time on a four-banger calculator…. Tech Support, can you tell me how to use the percent key? [grin]

Ike:
    I still own two HP 11c RPN calculators from the early-to-mid 1980.  They are virtually indestructible! In 1977, I remember reading an HP customer newsletter which included customer-written stories of the abuse HP’s calculators had taken — and how they just kept working.

Both of my calculators still work, even though I have not replaced the batteries in almost 20 years! It’s probably because they have mercury batteries (now considered hazardous waste.)  I know I have one – and maybe both – manuals as well.

I actually wish I had my Simplex Slide Rule as well.

4. mightymouse1584 says:

best product description ever.

5. locklaw says:

How is this Green, it uses batteries. They could have at least put the buttons closer together and put a solar cell on it. Too much on style, not enough on value.

6. trr says:

BNT,
    Are you sure about that? I didn’t see any of those on HP’s calculator web page.
    Anyway, I’ve still got my 41C and 48SX. My 15C got stolen a long time ago. I used to do synthetic programming on the 48SX…lots of fun.

7. jitrobug says:

I firmly believe that HP calculators actually charge batteries instead of using them up.

I have fantasies of mating and HP calculator and an iphone so that I could have rpn and a beautiful display – but the battery life would go from decades to hours.

8. trr says:

Never mind, BNT… I found them. That’s somewhat of a relief.

9. Chris Tucker says:

Still using an HP-45.

Still using a slide rule, too.

10. salsaman says:

No clue how you’re supposed to use this thing– it doesn’t even have an ENTER key!

It’s a little-known secret that the finance world runs on HP 12C calculators. I personally keep one on my desk and one spare at all times, as they have a tendency to disappear on the trading desk. I currently have one at home, two working ones and one broken one at work. (I threw it against a wall… not HP’s fault.) They are truly awesome, particularly the latter-day “Platinum Edition” which in addition to being bling is vastly faster than the older golden models.

12. 6255sunset says:

Before you buy this gem, you notice it has a replaceable battery. Good.

After you buy it, you note that nowhere does it
    mention how the battery is changed. There’s no apparent way – no battery door, etc. Bad.

So, what ? Is it supposed to be disposable? The literature from HP is useless. Maybe you take a tiny phillips screwdriver and take out the 10 screws and have it explode into dozens of pieces ?

I’m really disapponited at H/P. They can do a lot better..

13. hohum says:

My first thought was “no RPN!?” as well… I have a 41CX that just won’t die, and a 48G that’s just as tough. When the 35S came out, I picked one of those up to have something a bit smaller to carry in my bag… I can’t recommend that calculator enough! I’d almost lost hope after the disaster that was the 33S, but the 35 is some sweet shit! I imagine anyone who knows what RPN is doesn’t really need an excuse to pick up another calculator… If you’re ever tempted, I don’t think you’ll regret it.

14. trr says:

The picture of the pretty lady on HP’s “data sheet” tells me nothing although she’s nice to look at for a second, but telling me it’s magnetic, and telling me to put one in my purse (if I had one) is interesting. Maybe right next to my credit cards…
    I remember when HP made real calculators (15C, 41C, 48SX et al.)… those were the days. Nowadays, I guess you’d just use Excel, SAGE, etc. for calculations.