The Star Wars musical floppy

Phil Torrone over at MAKE posted this video of a stock 3.5-inch floppy disk playing a rendition of John Williams’ ‘Imperial March’ using only standard I/O requests and the drive’s read/write heads. Props for a deliciously old school concept and execution, but the sound is slightly irritating… though still less irritating than when my childhood dentist performed the Indiana Jones theme on my fillings with an enamel polisher.

Star Wars Floppy Disk [YouTube]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Star Wars musical floppy

1. Ceronomus says:

So this would be “Geek Industrial?” Absolutely awesome!

2. The Rabbit Ambulance says:

That is so incredibly awesome. I want it as an mp3, so I can use it as my ringtone.

3. Amplifier says:

God, that is sooo nerdy.

I love it.

4. HarshLanguage says:

The Imperial March is so iconic that it sounds great no matter what the medium. I love this version. It also reminded me of this “scratch” version of the Imperial March (an old vid, and loud, but still cool): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V50z6KA5asY

I remember software that did this for the Commodore 64′s 1541 disc drive back in the late 80s.

6. w000t says:

Geeky inspiration for a MIDI vibrator, I mean personal massager

7. brianary says:

Reminds me of 1541 Music, which did something similar for the Commodore 64′s 1541 5¼” drive.

8. themindfantastic says:

That gives me serious flashback to the Amiga Program ‘Drive Music’ a friend and I only played it once eyes popping out of our heads thinking F$%K ITS DESTROYING THE DISK AND THE DRIVE!?!?

It’s beautiful; it reminds me of a chunky analog synth sound.

TheMindFantastic, I had the same program! and if you ran it a lot, I’m sure it would contribute to an early floppy drive death. But occasionally was obviously fine. (Hmm, thinking back to a dead floppy drive….)