Two nice laptop hardware touches

“A one-to-one wireless connection between the Envy 133 notebook and an Ethernet connector located on the power supply, allowing users to roam free from the wired connection.” [ZD Net]

“[The Packard Bell Puma laptop has] a “Battery Boost” button that allows you to switch between dedicated video and integrated Intel GMA chipsets in order to conserve unwired time.” [Engadget]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Two nice laptop hardware touches

1. Itsumishi says:

Unless I’m mistaken if you’re plugged into the powersupply you’ll still get full ethernet speeds.
    But you also have the bonus of being able to unplug the power (but keep the powersupply plugged into the wall) then wander around using the wireless.

2. Enochrewt says:

Two laptops, one cup?

I wish they’d hurry up with wireless power, the first one would be nice, except you’re still tied down with the power cord.

3. Daemon says:

@5 That, and people who are staying at a hotel or other place providing ethernet, but not wifi.

4. Chevan says:

So I take it that’s meant for people who don’t want a full wireless router?

5. jrishel says:

Is one extra cable for your ethernet really that much of a pain? Now if they could also mix in a connection to my speakers and USB for my external mouse and keyboard, oh, and firewire for my camcorder connection–

wait. That’s called a docking station, we have that already.

6. chroma says:

I can’t figure out what the first one means. You plug an Ethernet cord into the power supply?

As for the second one, I’d like some confirmation that it actually works.

• Joel Johnson says:

You plug the Ethernet into the power supply, which has a Wi-Fi bridge inside that can connect to the laptop. It’s a neat way to stash the Ethernet off the machine. (Although obviously you are limited to Wi-Fi speeds.)