Cellphone popcorn hoax revealed as viral marketing scam

The hoax, prompted by videos in which people popped popcorn with the radiation from their cellphones, was for a Bluetooth headset company named Cardo. I’d ding them for promoting bad science, but I have to admit as far as marketing goes, they did their job.

This entry was posted in cellphones and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Cellphone popcorn hoax revealed as viral marketing scam

1. Halloween Jack says:

I’m with Skeptobot. It’s like a company that sells hand-sterilizer lotion doing an ad showing someone getting HIV from a toilet seat.

So this got 8 million people so worried they all ran out and bought a mini microwave to strap to their heads ;-)

3. BetterLivingThroughScience says:

what’s the hoax?

4. Honad says:

Basically that you can pop popcorn with the heat/radiation/magic/sweetness of your cell phone.

5. HeatherB says:

The actors were terrible. The popcorn did a better job at faking it than they did.

saw this on cnn alot of people fell for it, they sold 8 million blue tooth headsets since the videos hit the web, and its not just this one, there is another i know of with guys drinkin beers around a black table

7. Skeptobot says:

“I’d ding them for promoting bad science, but I have to admit as far as marketing goes, they did their job.”

Shame on you Joel I expected better from you.

Promoting preposterous science that actively undermines the publics understanding of radiation doesn’t get a pass just because they were trying to sell something!

8. Jack says:

Who believed those videos were real. They are clearly produced and the actors are clearly acting.

Fake you!

You can get HIV from toilet seats?!

I thought the popcorn I popped with my iPhone after seeing this video tasted fake.