The USS Salem’s steampunkish command phone

steampunkcommandphone.jpg

The Type D Telephone, commissioned from the Automatic Electric Company in 1945 for the heavy cruiser USS Salem… for shouting obscenities down to the engine room or being appraised by high command of the Atlantic movements of Jerry’s U-Boats. I love the fact that, spartan of design as it is, someone still managed to squeeze some brass nautical bling around the rotary dial. And that Press to Talk –> Reproducer Only switch is a delight: a direct speed dial to the Captain’s missus. Navy men have such unflattering euphemisms for their wives.

USS Salem Steampunk Command Phone [Steampunk Workshop]

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The USS Salem’s steampunkish command phone

1. Halloween Jack says:

I thought that nothing could be cooler than the buttons on the arms of Jim Kirk’s chair, but I was wrong.

2. the Other michael says:

AAAARGH!

I fell for the ol’ wrong-url-in-the-clipboard gimmick.

I even hit preview — but failed to check that the link actually worked.

How about THIS awesome steampunk music player

See, it’s not “steampunk” if it’s the real thing.

Classic Coke. Feh.

3. the Other michael says:

You might like to have a gander at this awesome steampunk music player

C’mon — enough with the retronyming. Vintage tech is not steampunk. It may may the steampunkers swoon, but that’s original source material.

4. the Other michael says:

Nevertheless, it is a pretty darn neat phone.

Hope I’ll never see this in museum, it would be impossible to resist picking it up and yellin “get me to the fuhrer” with faux movie-nazi accent.

6. Jake von Slatt says:

#6 – I understand what you are saying but don’t agree. That phone is totally Steampunk and I’ll go a step further and say that Brownlee is craven for adding the ‘ish’. (with great affection, John, with great affection.)

7. Jake von Slatt says:

#1 – show me the awesome steampunk music player!

Did you mess up the URL or is that viral marketing I smell?

I believe you meant “apprised,” not “appraised.”