WASP Injector Knife inflates sharks

waspknife.jpg

The “WASP Injector Knife” secrets a CO2 canister in the handle which, when a small button on the hilt is triggered, injects a blast of 850psi gas through a channel in the knife’s blade, inflating the target with a painful and debilitating pocket of gaseous pain. It’s being marketed towards scuba divers, although I’d be too terrified of accidental discharge to carry it myself, let alone try to get into a cutting match with a shark.

From their product description page:

This weapon injects a frozen ball of compressed gas approximately the size of a basketball at 850psi nearly instantly. The effects of this injection will drop many of the world’s largest land predators. The effects of the compressed gas not only cause over-inflation during ascent when used underwater, but also freezes all tissues and organs surrounding the point of injection on land or at sea. When used underwater, the injected gas carries the predator to the surface BEFORE blood is released into the water. Thus giving the diver added protection by diverting other potential predators to the surface.

The knife itself doesn’t actually seem to be on sale yet, but prices of around $400 or so were being bandied about before someone claiming to be with the company said they were “in negotiations to sell it strictly on the non-civilian market.” So who knows? However you slice it, it’s a wicked little weapon.

Product Page [Waspknife.com]

Update: There’s a video demonstration now:

This entry was posted in diving, knives and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to WASP Injector Knife inflates sharks

1. winkybb says:

There’s somethong weird 3D effect thing going on with that drawing. Is the blade pointing towards the viewer or away? Looks like slightly “towards”; but wait, look at the hilt. Doesn’t it show the back? It’s something to do with the gas canister and the way it’s been rendered. Are we seeing a half-canister or a full one? It keeps flipping on me. Gotta stop looking now….

so lemme get this right i have to stab the shark push a button and not get eaten sweet i can c the target audience an it aint divers

3. strider_mt2k says:

If anything screams for a product demonstration video THIS is it.

4. owza says:

Oh great… UK knife crime gangs are going to love carving people with this…

A prototype of this device appeared in a Clive Cussler book titled Pacific Vortex!, written in 1982. It was called “Barf the Magic Dragon” in the book.

6. Pipenta says:

As a diver, let me say that this is the stupidest piece of crap I’ve seen in a long time.

7. snackcake says:

What if you are on the surface when you get attacked by that shark? Also; what guarantee is there that the gas will actually stay inside the animal and not just rupture out immediately? Has this actually been created and tested?

There are too many questions: We need video!

8. Bugs says:

@ Pipenta –

Seconded.

There was a shark gun in the 007 film ‘Live And Let Die’ that worked in the same way, and Yaphet Kotto met a messy end after swallowing one of the bullets.

10. Jim_Graham says:

You people worry too much. How come no one gets freaked out about all that Steampunk stuff on BB? Or when they promote SRL shows? “Better not let any little kids operate that thing that shoots 2x4s at the audience…someone might get hurt!”

BB wouldn’t publicize something like this unless Xeni tested it herself and deemed it perfectly safe.

11. Itsumishi says:

Personally my faveroute Anti-Shark Device was always a canister of Shark Repellent.
    Although this doesn’t work against explosive sharks.

Maybe this knife would do the trick. Maybe it would detonate the explosive roboting sharks.

Oh god I hope someone knows what I’m talking about.

12. gandalf23 says:

The fingerguards are too small. The one on the top does not extend higher than the trigger, so it does not protect the trigger from getting snagged on something and depressed, and the one on the bottom does not extend far enough down to cover ones fingers, or at least make sure there is something between them and the blade if your grip slips.

Don’t bang sticks use CO2 canisters now instead of shotgun shells? Seems to me it’s just a shorter bang stick, that can also be used as a knife, so not that stupid an idea. Just needs a little bit of refinement.

13. dukerayburn says:

Geekologie’s got a video of the compression being released.

Unfortunately they neglected to implant the knife into the face of a bear first.

If this thing makes waves it’ll only be the first time it’s used on a human. I hope to God it never reaches the private sector. Or any sector for that manner. Even if it is a bunch of hooey.

14. themindfantastic says:

I give it six weeks before its a murder weapon in one of those CSI (Insert city/suburb/rural area here) shows.

15. dukerayburn says:

I believe it’s a lengthwise slice from stem to stern, but the viewing angle is such that it’s an optical illusion as well.

Now if this knife operated in a realm of non-Euclidean geometry that would be something worth paying attention to.

16. Evil Jim says:

I find the best deterrent to sharks is about a thousand miles of dry land between you. Works for me.

17. Enochrewt says:

Westside Story would have been even cooler if this knife had been in it.

18. Argon says:

Mmmmh. Carbonated shark.

I have trouble believing the extent of the freezing effect and the usefulness thereof. How does it compare to a bang stick?

From what I have read most of the comments are from people who don’t really know much. The exception are some who are divers as I am making common sense remarks.
    All this is is another twist on the CO2 bang stick used by myself and other divers for decades. It is a cylinder on a stick with a hollow needle pull the safety pin to arm and jab it against a shark; instant balloon; innards sticking out its mouth and floating to the surface..
    Another version uses high powered pistol rounds like .357 or .44 magnum rounds; even 12 gauge shotgun shells.
    Answer me this?
    Would you spend 400.00 on the knife and say get close enough to yogi bear to stick him; but how will you keep yogi from tearing off your head and crapping down your neck as you try to stab him??
    So my opinion to all this alarmist verbal flatulence? JUST CHILL OUT….

Will the animal tissue make way for the gas quickly enough? The high pressure gas has gotta expand somewhere…

I’m a bit worried that when you stick it in a bear the knife will just come flying out of the wound, and you’ll lose your grip on it.

I’m not a diver or an marine biologist, but I feel that the primary feature of any anti-shark weapon is that it should keep me as far away from the shark as possible, and be automated, not be in contact with the hungry/angry animal while trying to actuate a button.

Why air and not a poison injector? It could also be used to season your meat while you kill it.

THAT KNIFE IS COOL!!! I want one, and I’m definitely going to get one before it gets banned in the US. It appears to be well made, isn’t all that expensive, and what the heck – I already have almost enough guns.

23. magic whiskey says:

Insert artificial sharkfart…NOW!

24. Halloween Jack says:

Hopefully, the first time some asshat tries to use this on a living target–probably not a shark–it’ll backfire so hard that it embeds itself right between their eyes.