Count calories and wake up to FM radio with Sony Ericsson’s new cheapies

Described as “entry-level,” Sony Ericsson’s J132 and K330 candybars don’t represent the company’s raison d’etre, but they’re lovely-looking all the same. This perhaps assumes that they’re actually cheap – again, no price was announced – but sometimes, simplicity and plain utility sell themselves.

J132_Front40Angle_i_Night_Black_Rev1.jpg

The J132 is a “solid talk and text phone,” which means it does practically nothing else. it does, however, have an FM radio and an alarm clock, and a “torch” function to “find objects in the dark.” I could fall in love with such a minimalist machine; if only it were not as thick as a candybar.

K330_Front40Angle_Green_on_Black_Rev1.jpg

The K330 is somewhat more featuresome, with a VGA camera and enough storage to hold 250 pics. It also has a calorie counting app pre-installed

Sony’s press release has a comparison chart.

About Rob Beschizza

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Count calories and wake up to FM radio with Sony Ericsson’s new cheapies

1. cromulent1 says:

Seconding the MOTOFONE F3 if your goal is cellular minimalism.

It’s fantastically thin, has a segmented e-paper display, and mine survived submersion in dirty potted-plant water with absolutely no ill effects after a day of drying.

In addition to working very well as a phone, it has an alarm and speakerphone and rudimentary text messaging.

I’ve been using it for several months as my primary phone. My previous phone was a T-Mobile MDA/HTC Wizard.

2. Enochrewt says:

I click back and forth from work apps to BB, and when I do, I click on the window, and scroll wheel down. I keep clicking on the jpgs of these phones, and I have to say, they’re absolutely huge.

That’s all.

3. Enochrewt says:

Oh it’s ok, It’s just a little shocking to click on something and have some gigantic minimalist cellphone jpg cover dual monitors. Actually if this was something I was interested in, I’d prefer to have a ginormous picture of it so I can suss out every little detail.

Had the 2001 theme had been playing at the time, I would have felt like the monkey touching the monolith.

4. mdhatter says:

I want my minimalist brick-phone.

These seem quite promising.

5. Rob Beschizza says:

Yes, I LOVE the Motofone f3. I’m on sprint, though, and the CDMA f3 isn’t available anywhere I can find.

6. Rob Beschizza says:

Sorry about the huge images, Eno. Wont do it again, promise.

7. Not a Doktor says:

The J132 is pretty similar to the Nokia 6030. I still keep that one around ‘just incase’.

8. MattMcKeon says:

You really ought to drop $34 at Amazon on a MOTOFONE then. :)

I’ve been using this as my backup phone for a few months now and love it. Granted it’s outlandishly primitive and text messaging is a bit of a pain, but it really is the ultimate in minimalist gear. < 1cm thin, beautifully designed and usable, and great battery life (500 mins of talk, 500 hours standby).