Dale Mathis’ clockworkpunk executive desk

executive-desk_5WGp4_48.jpg

Dale Mathis’ gorgeous executive desk uses clockwork gears to kinetically imply the massive inner cogitations — the brainthink — of the man sitting behind it, whether an airship captain planning the optimal air-route over the trouble nation of Zembla, a Mechanical Turk chewing his moustache over a particularly difficult endgame variant, or a corporate executive wondering if he wants rye bread on his ham sandwich. The desk is only being marketed to the latter, though: each unique clockworkpunk sculpture costs $21,000.

Executive Desk [Redstone Gallery via Born Rich]

This entry was posted in Furniture and Lighting and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Dale Mathis’ clockworkpunk executive desk

There are 2 videos on his website, on which you can see the gears rotate. No moving legs though.

Desk: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=1367153

A coffeetable: http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=26208730

2. John Brownlee says:

I didn’t link the videos because the autoplay music was incredibly irritating.

3. timjay says:

Wow, gears that turn. It’s so clockwork. I bet it plugs into the wall.

I saw this desk and several other pieces in a galery in Vegas. I must say that this guy is talented. And yes, all the gears do move.

5. soupisgoodfood says:

Clockwork steampunk stuff only really interests me when the gears are actually part of some working, practical system. I just don’t get the appeal, otherwise. Perhaps it’s the engineer in me.

6. Enochrewt says:

Huge bonus points if the gears actually move and thus make something (the desk legs?) move.

Nothing says “steam era” better than a rolltop desk, so for a true steampunk desk there should be a rolltop desk form with side panels that open up and let you see moving gears like this, arranged vertically in the sides.

Excuse me: the MAN who sits behind it?

kral oyun

10. Mousewrites says:

a) thank you for calling this clockpunk, rather than steampunk. While the later is often subbed for the former, I much prefer gears to steam, myself.

b) ::melts into a puddle of goo with desklust::